Avoidance

It was Friday afternoon, and Jade had just arrived at the Toyota Center in Houston for their weekly live SmackDown event. WWE media staff were getting promo shots as she walked in, sauntering and leaning into her character as the impenetrable Jade Cargill. To be fair, she felt she was impenetrable, that was until Bianca.

She hadn't heard from Bianca since the night she left her condo in a rush. Everything had been going so well, they had fun. She knew Bianca was feeling the connection just as much as she was. She just didn't understand why Bianca wasn't letting herself go.

Jade hoped to see her today after their matches. She was on first, going against Piper Niven, and Bianca was scheduled to face Tiffany Stratton. She was determined to talk to Bianca about what was going on between them once and for all tonight after their match.

---

Jade watched from backstage as Bianca dismantled Tiffany like it was her job. Sure, the match outcomes were predetermined by the organization, but the athleticism, form, and strength were real. She thought briefly back to her match with Piper earlier in the night. Piper was not an easy feat, but she was able to execute her finisher, the Jaded, at the end without issue. That's where Bianca and she were the same: they never gave up no matter who was put in front of them.

She heard the crowd pop and looked back up just as Bianca performed a stunning K.O.D. (Kiss of Death) on Tiffany and pinned her to the count of three. Jade cheered right along with the crowd and decided to wait for Bianca at the back entrance where they normally exited to their company-provided black SUVs.

She only had to wait 45 minutes; Bianca didn't play about leaving to go back to the hotel after her lines and wrestling matches were over.

Bianca came all but running out of the center, not even seeing Jade waiting to the side of the door.

"Hey, B," Jade called out.

Bianca jumped, looking ready to swing, and Jade giggled, putting her hands up in surrender.

"Hold up, I don't want any of that action," Jade said with a smile.

Bianca sighed in relief as she realized she was not in fact being kidnapped and it was just Jade. She chuckled with Jade as she noticed her fist was still ready for whatever.

"Jade, you scared the shit out of me. What are you even doing out here?" Bianca asked, her voice a mix of surprise and curiosity.

Jade didn't directly answer the question. Bianca knew why she would spend 45 minutes outside waiting for her. This was the best way to talk about what was happening between them, in person, and Jade wasn't going to let her evade the topic for much longer.

"Can we share?" Jade asked, referring to the black SUV waiting for them.

Bianca looked hesitant but eventually agreed. Jade opened the door for Bianca and followed her inside the car.

Bianca stared out the window as the SUV slowly made its way back to the hotel the WWE had reserved for their pro athletes. She knew exactly why Jade was here. One, they usually hung out after matches, but two, Jade most likely figured that since she had been avoiding her all week, this was her best chance to address the elephant in the room.

Bianca had finally admitted to herself that she really liked Jade. So much that it scared her. She thought back to last Sunday and the electric moment they shared, the intensity in Jade's eyes, her own racing heart, and the thick wall of sexual tension. She was certain that if she had kissed Jade that night, she would have lost all inhibitions. She knew that if she took that next step, there wouldn't be anything Jade Cargill could ask of her that she would deny. But Bianca's mind betrayed her heart. She just couldn't take on that liability right now...serious feelings, love.

Especially if that meant affecting her wrestling career. Sure, she was actively dating, but she didn't sign up for...this. So when she went home Sunday night, she decided that now wasn't the right time to explore their relationship. But she just didn't know how to discuss this with Jade, hence her avoiding all calls from her. She stole a glance at Jade only to find that Jade was already looking at her. Jade's legs were crossed comfortably on the other side of the car, and she was leaning back in the chair, hands resting in her lap, silently observing her. Bianca would have found it creepy if Jade wasn't so damn sexy. She quickly turned back to the window, and her leg involuntarily started to bounce as her nervousness got the best of her.

Soon, she felt a hand on her thigh, instantly calming her nerves. Bianca looked down at Jade's well-manicured hand, her long jeweled nails sparkling as they drove by sources of light.

"B...talk to me. What's going on? Why have you been avoiding me?" Jade finally broke the silence, and Bianca looked up at her again.

Bianca started to speak, but then she felt Jade's thumb rubbing her thigh in a soothing manner, coaxing her to talk. She almost lost her nerve but decided to blurt it out.

"I don't think we should date," Bianca said almost too fast for anyone to comprehend. She waited for Jade's response, and when she didn't immediately hear one, she looked directly at Jade, noticing her raised eyebrow.

"Who said I wanted to date you?" Jade said. Bianca was mortified. Had she been reading the signs all wrong? Had she imagined all the tension and close encounters? Before embarrassment could set in, Jade burst out laughing. Realizing Jade was messing with her, Bianca playfully hit Jade on the shoulder and also started laughing.

"Don't do that, Jade. I was about to be embarrassed as hell." Bianca was actually happy for the laugh; it definitely helped make this conversation easier. Her nerves were no longer holding her hostage.

"What's wrong with us dating?" Jade asked, getting the conversation back on track.

"Nothing is wrong. I just think it's bad timing for the both of us," Bianca said. She took Jade's silence as confirmation to continue. "The organization has our partnership planned out for at least a year, and I don't want either of us to jeopardize what we've worked so hard for."

Jade just nodded slowly.

"So, just to make sure I understand: I like you, and you like me, but you don't want to pursue anything because of our careers at WWE?" Bianca nodded.

"Well then, I quit," Jade said.

"Jade! Stop it. I know you aren't serious, but we have to be careful here. It's different for people like Naomi and Jimmy. Their storylines don't mix; they don't have to wrestle with each other. We don't have the same liberties."

"But Bianca, do you really want to pass up our chance to be happy? Our careers won't last forever..." Jade said. She had a point, Bianca thought, but there was too much on the line.

"I don't want to pass anything up, trust me, but I think we should wait. And if we are both still single then, maybe we could try again?" Bianca suggested. This was the first time she saw Jade's resolve break. She saw a flicker of hurt—disappointment, maybe—in Jade's eyes, but she recovered quickly, putting on a smile. She rubbed her hand on Bianca's thigh one last time and gently pulled back, reclaiming her earlier position in the car.

"Whatever you'd like, Ms. Belair," Jade said. Bianca knew she wasn't happy, and she hated that. She never wanted Jade to be upset with her, but she felt she was making the right choice. She nodded and continued looking out the window, noticing Jade doing the same.

The rest of the car ride passed in silence