I'm Yours

June's sitting at a large walnut desk in what I assume was her parents' office before they passed. The sage green walls are a nice contrast to the dark wooden floors but it's obvious June hasn't cleaned their stuff out yet. Stacks of books and papers sit everywhere; on top of the desk, on the floor, on the armchair in the corner.

June doesn't turn when she hears me come in. Her head's resting in her hands, propped up by the desk. The lean muscle in her back shows through the white shirt she's wearing and her hair is still messy from sleeping. I want more than anything to run my hands through it but instead I stay back. Every touch from June sends goosebumps up my arms. Even when she accidentally brushes up against me, I want to pull her in and kiss her.

"I have to go tell my dad," I say.

June turns in the chair, her eyebrows raised. "What happened?"

"Ari is investigating Ricky's... Disappearance." Saying it out loud feels wrong. I know what happened to Ricky. I know Ari won't find him no matter how hard he looks.

June swallows hard and stands up. "Let me shower."

She turns to slide past me through the doorway but I grab her hand. "June."

Her eyes meet mine for the first time since I told her to take Lindsay to the dance. They look as broken as I feel inside. We stay like that for what feels like forever. Her face only inches from mine. I could pull her in and kiss her right now and she'd let me. I know she would. Even after everything I've put her through. She's waiting for me to say something, to do something but June makes my mind go blank.

"Not now Sawyer," she says when I don't continue.

"June," I say again but she doesn't stop. "June."

"Stop following me," she says, making her way down the stairs.

I follow her anyway, letting out a scoff as I do. "Are you joking?"

We're in her bedroom by the time she responds. "Not joking."

"What's your problem?" My movements are on auto pilot now as I follow her into the attached bathroom.

She faces me. "Get out."

"June." I can't keep the hurt from my tone. "Why are you being like this?"

"Last warning," she explains. "I'm going to get naked now."

I cross my arms over my chest. "Can't you just talk to me?"

Her lips pull into a grin that she forces down. "Time's up." She unties the drawstring on her sweatpants and drops them to the floor.

"I don't care," I say. "I've seen plenty of people naked before." But even as the lie comes out of my lips, I'm staring at the all black boyshort underwear she's wearing and the way the fabric hugs her muscular thighs.

She kicks the sweats against the wall and bends over to crank the shower on. I can't pull my eyes away from her and I want to kick myself for being so weak. I've been with dozens of people and none of them have ever had this effect on me. Even the ones with sport-defined abs.

Steam fills the chilly bathroom air as she pulls her shirt over her head. Her sports bra matches her underwear.

"You're staring," June points out.

I force my eyes to her face. "I am not. Stop being cocky."

She takes a few large steps toward me and bends over so she can whisper. "You like it."

"Are you trying to seduce me?"

June smiles. "Is it working?"

I don't answer her. My brain is empty, pushing all the warnings and precautions back as my hand finds June's neck.