Knock Knock

I'm vaguely aware of the spinning in my head and the heaviness in my arms. It's not until I try to move that I understand where the heaviness comes from. I'm upside down, strapped to my seat by the safety belt. My swollen hands dangle above my head but as much as I will myself to undo the belt, I can't.

My eyes flutter closed but I can hear voices.

"She's trapped. We have to move it."

"Together."

"On three. One, two, three!"

Another loud metallic groan.

Heat, warm and clammy against my neck.

"She's alive."

"She won't be much longer if we don't get her to a hospital."

The pressure in my head cracks open as my body is guided to the floor.

"Oh god. She's bleeding bad."

"I won't let her die."

"They'll execute you if you turn her into one of us."

"I won't let her die. If you have a problem with that—"

Something explodes. The ground vibrates under me. My hearing sticks on a high note and floats there.

"Are you okay? Did he hit you?"

I force my eyes open long enough to see June running toward my father. Mid-stride, she leaps and transforms into an unrecognizable creature. A wolf but bigger. Completely blonde, the same color as her hair. My father fires another shot, then one more.

The creature, June, cries out but dashes after him anyway.

They disappear into the darkness of the trees as Angela moves into my view.

"Hey, girl," she breathes. "How you doin'?" Her worried eyes flick from my face to my body and back. "You're pretty banged up."

"My girlfriend is like... Not human sometimes," I say, overly aware of how sluggish my voice sounds. "Is that weird?"

Angela snorts. "We need to get you some help. How do you feel about stealing your dad's Jeep?"

I don't have time to respond before the darkness takes over again.

Only seconds pass before my eyes blink open. At least that's what it feels like. A glance out the window shows it's been more than a few seconds. Hours, at least, seeing as the sun is up now.

June's hand is wrapped around mine. Her top half is draped over my legs but her body is sitting in the hospital chair.

"Is that comfortable?" I ask and immediately regret it. My throat is dry and raw from sleep. Every syllable feels like swallowing razor blades.

June shoots straight up, her eyes wide. "You're awake."

I smile but even that small of a movement sends pain pulsing through my skull.

"How long has it been?"

"Eight hours and thirty two minutes," June answers. "You have a skull fracture and two broken ribs but the doctor's think you'll make a full recovery."

Until now, everything that happened last night felt like a bad dream. June must see the realization settle on my face because she squeezes my hand.

The motion breaks me out of my trance. "Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine. The front of the truck took the most damage. I just um..." She scratches the back of her head. "What you said about my parents, I just..."