Chapter 18 : Professor's Flashback Part II

Karl stood amidst the terrified children, his heart pounding in his chest. The night air was thick with tension as members of the Ashes gang slowly surrounded them. Rocket and Spike, their earlier courage shaken, exchanged panicked glances.

"We can't handle this, Spike," Rocket whispered urgently. "We have to get out of here!"

Spike hesitated for a moment, his eyes flicking between the children and the advancing gang members. Then, without another word, both heroes turned and fled, their figures disappearing into the darkness.

Karl watched in disbelief as the two heroes abandoned them. "No!" he shouted after them, his voice filled with a mixture of anger and desperation. "Don't leave us!"

The gang members laughed cruelly, their confidence bolstered by the retreat of the heroes. "Looks like your protectors have deserted you," one of them sneered. "Now, you're all alone."

The children huddled closer to Karl, their fear palpable. Karl's mind raced, his military instincts kicking in. He had to protect these kids, no matter what. He stepped forward, positioning himself between the gang and the children.

"Stay behind me," he ordered, his voice firm despite the fear gnawing at his insides. "I'll keep you safe."

The Ashes gang members moved in, their expressions predatory. Karl fought back with every ounce of his military training, striking with precision and strength. For a moment, he managed to hold them at bay, but their numbers and powers quickly overwhelmed him.

Dominic stepped forward, his eyes glinting with malice. With a swift, brutal motion, he struck down one of the children. The boy's scream echoed in the night, cutting through Karl's soul like a knife.

"No!" Karl screamed, his voice raw with grief and rage. Something inside him snapped. In that moment, a searing pain shot through his body, and he felt a strange, powerful energy surge within him. Blade-like strings erupted from his body, slicing through the air with lethal precision. Four gang members fell instantly, their bodies pierced by the strings.

Karl stared at his hands in shock, the realization dawning on him. He had powers.

Fueled by his newfound abilities and a burning desire for vengeance, Karl unleashed his fury on the remaining members of the Ashes gang. His blade strings moved with a life of their own, cutting through his enemies with ruthless efficiency. The top rankers of the gang fell one by one, unable to withstand the ferocity of his attacks.

Dominic, now heavily injured, backed away, his eyes wide with fear. Only a few members of the Ashes gang remained, standing alongside their enigmatic boss. The boss stepped forward, his black hood and mask giving him an eerie, imposing presence.

"So, you have powers after all," the boss said, his voice calm and menacing. "It's rare to see someone receiving their powers in the middle of a fight. You must have a hell lot of determination. Allow me to kill you."

Karl, breathing heavily, his body still trembling with the intensity of his powers, faced the boss. "You'll pay for what you've done," he spat, his eyes blazing with determination.

The boss simply nodded, almost respectfully. "Very well. Let's see what you're capable of."

The battle began, and it was like nothing Karl had ever experienced. He attacked with everything he had, his blade strings slicing through the air. But the boss moved with an almost supernatural grace, deflecting every strike. Karl couldn't understand it; the boss seemed to anticipate his every move.

Like Nebula and Magma before him, Karl found himself struggling against an opponent who appeared invincible. The boss's abilities were a mystery, his power and agility unmatched. Every attack Karl launched was countered, every move anticipated.