- Third -

When the two brothers came back downstairs a good half hour later, they immediately came across their parents waiting for them in the living room. While their father had dressed nicely in a simple black suit, their mother had outdone herself. Her dress, which left her shoulders bare, was long and full, taking up an enormous amount of space and opening onto her left leg. It shone with a thousand lights, the silver sequins almost assaulting their eyes. This only confirmed what Jungkook had suspected for a long time now: this ceremony was not really for the twins, but rather to allow their mother to regain her honour.

No sooner had they entered the living room than their parents turned around, and Hyeri's gaze immediately fell on her youngest son. The woman's gaze softened immediately, and she approached him gently, a small, emotional smile forming on her lips. She raised trembling hands to his porcelain-white cheeks and stroked them tenderly.

"You're really beautiful, darling. I'm so proud of you and your brother." she whispered, emotion in her voice.

She sounded sincere, really emotional. At times like this, Jungkook could almost forgive her. He could almost have forgiven her for what she was. Because at that very moment, if you forgot the past, she really did look like a mother. She looked so fragile, so kind. Jungkook wanted so much to believe it. But he knew it wouldn't last. He knew that this family would never be what he had hoped it would be. This family would never be the one Hyeri had hoped for. Everything was far too complicated for that.

So he let her do it for a few seconds, before stepping aside and looking away. And the woman's joy evaporated when she saw the hard look on her son's face. Jungkook wouldn't make an effort for her, not even tonight. He wanted nothing to do with her, and he wouldn't hide from making that clear. She couldn't help but feel sadly disappointed.

"Wow, you're really cool, Kook!"

The boy turned his head, and his face lit up when he saw a man coming forward, until then hidden by the presence of his parents. The man was tall, a good six feet, broad and muscular. His facial features were soft, framed by long black hair pulled back with a little gel. He had a tender smile on his lips, which only got bigger when he saw Jungkook's excitement.

"Namjoon hyung!" exclaimed the teenager, running towards him. I didn't see you there! Did you come with Jin hyung?"

Namjoon nodded.

"Of course I came. It's a big day for you, I wasn't going to miss it!"

Namjoon didn't hesitate for a moment to take the young man in his arms, a tenderness that Jungkook returned immediately.

"And you know, Jin was much more stressed about you than he wants to show. The whole of Bangtan is."

Jungkook couldn't stop the red from spreading across his cheeks. At least Bangtan, the only people he loved on this earth, were with him. As long as they had his back, then everything would be fine.

"Right, we'd better go." interrupted Jungyung, their father. "The party's already started and we're rather late."

This remark seemed to panic Hyeri, who hurriedly grabbed her youngest son by the arm, separating him from Namjoon and leading him towards the door.

"We must hurry!" she exclaimed. "What will people think if one of the stars of the evening arrives late?"

However, Jungkook frowned, naturally letting his gaze wander around the large living room. A crucial person was missing. And although his absence was a blessing for Jungkook, it was nonetheless strange.

"Where's Jongsu?" he asked curiously.

"He's already gone." replied his mother without slowing down. "Sunmin came to get him."