Banana Floats and Russians

Ep 3 - The Case of the Missing Lifeguard
Monday, July 1st 1985
Steve's POV

Caytlinn's feet were the first thing to wake me up in the morning. She trudged down the stairs and went into the kitchen. I groaned to see what time it was. It was around five in the morning, and I was still exhausted after yesterday. I kicked the sheets off and rubbed my eyes. My feet were cold as I walked towards the kitchen.

"Cay! Come on! Why are you up so early?" I grumbled.

I leaned against the opening, waiting to see if she was actually in the kitchen. I blinked my eyes open only to see Caytlinn standing there in her uniform, hair all messy and her face all tried. She looked bad. Like bad, bad. "Can you put your hairy-ass chest away?"

I groaned as she walked past me up stairs. She had some stuff in her hands. I crossed my arms and spun around as she headed back up stairs. I wanted to go back to bed, but I doubt that was going to happen. "What are you doing to do up there? Make breakfast, cause we have a full functional kitchen right down here!"

No response.

Finally around six thirty, Caytlinn came down, fully ready to go. Even though it was early, we'd get there before Robin. I drove us to the mall, and she was silent the entire ride staring outside the window. This wasn't good, but I held my tongue and did not ask questions because she would be livid if I did.

We were the first ones there which was a given, so as per company policy we opened Scoops. I headed to the back and let Caytlinn take the morning shift. Robin soon arrived and switched for the shift.
The two of us sat at the table and I was finally able to talk to Caytlinn. I asked one simple question, and she gave in and told me everything. It wasn't that hard to break her, but it sure wasn't that easy. It was in the middle for Cay. It always was.

"Well, that...that was..."

"I'm over it. I'm over it like I was with Mom and Dad. They moved on, so I moved on. Same thing with Dustin. I've moved on," Caytlinn admitted, leaning back in her chair. She crossed her arms and stared at me, eyes unfaltering.

Dustin threw open the door making it slam against the wall hard. Caytlinn titled her head back and I leaned over just in time to see the recorder fly out of Dustin's hands and onto the table. He set his backpack down, and Robin followed, leaving no one at the counter to serve ice cream. "We doing this or what?" she asked, as Dustin handed her the translation book.

The bell began ringing repeatedly and I looked at Caytlinn. She looked at me and we made eye contact for a few seconds before she rolled her eyes, and groaned. It was probably best for her to be out of the room when Dustin was with us. She walked out and began serving customers.

"Is there a plan?" I questioned.

"Robin will translate, and we'll look for anyone suspicious outside," Dustin answered, standing up and throwing his backpack on the table. He was very happy about this, and obviously couldn't see the damage he had done to Cay.

He began searching through it and then pulled out a pair of binoculars. I grabbed the binoculars and set the strap around my neck. I stood up and Dustin followed me out. I noticed that Caytlinn wasn't behind the counter but at a table with the boy. A boy that I have never seen. I grabbed the scooper and as we walked past the table I set it on the table.

"Seriously? Steve?" Caytlinn asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and followed Dustin out. We hid behind some bushes for a while as the crowds began to grow.

Caytlinn's POV

Steve looked at me when the bell rang. I didn't want to be in the same room as Dustin and he knew that. I groaned and walked out to the counter. A smile crept onto my face when I realize who was ringing the bell. Honestly I was a little surprised that I was happy to see someone I just met. Even though I had just met him, he seemed nice, plus he plays D&D. I don't know, but something about him was comforting.