Chapter 4

Arthur passed his hands through his black hair, his anxiety evident as his feet tapped against the floor while he waited at the table alone. He was seated at one of the numerous tables, casually leaning back in his chair. On first glance, he looked confident, but his tapping gave his growing anxiety away. His black hair, slightly tousled, fell over his forehead in a way that framed his sharp, angular features. He wore his glasses today, a lit cigarette hung loosely from his lips. He looked different from the Arthur you were used to seeing in class. Dressed in a fitted black high neck, his sleeves were rolled up just enough to reveal the veins running along his forearms. The contrast between his dark clothing and the bright, sunlit pool area made him stick out like a sore thumb.

"Sorry I'm late," an older man said, sitting down in front of Arthur. He had blonde hair and glasses and was a head taller and broader. A well-built man in a suit and tie despite the sun.

"Why did you want to talk to me?" Arthur asked, his voice tense.

"What if I just wanted to see your face? You haven't come home since Easter. I was worried you got yourself killed somewhere," the older man replied, a hint of concern masked by a casual tone.

Arthur rolled his eyes. His father had eyes on his sons at all times. Was he meant to believe a man as cold and calculating as him was genuinely concerned about his son's well-being?

Seeing Arthur wasn't buying his excuse, the older man sighed and decided to get straight to the point. "Arthur, I really need to know. I heard a few things from Madame Red, you know how terribly she gossips."

"What did you hear?" Arthur asked, confused.

"Okay, I need you to be honest with me, okay? No matter what, we'll get you help. I won't be mad."

"Spit it out," Arthur growled, losing his patience.

"Are you doing coke?" Mr. Phillips asked bluntly.

Arthur choked on air, looking at his father with a confused look. "What? No! What are you talking about?"

"Look, I know students your age do all sorts of things to relieve stress, but a drug habit isn't something you want to pick up right now," his father continued, ignoring Arthur's bewilderment.

Arthur cut him off. "What are you talking about?" he demanded, stopping his father's rambling.

Mr. Phillips assessed his son carefully. Upon noticing he genuinely looked confused, he felt a wave of relief. "I heard rumours from Madame Red that you were always out at night, and I know you don't like crowded rooms, so I just thought..."

Arthur's eye twitched. "No, I'm not doing drugs," he said firmly.

"Okay, that's good," his father said, visibly relaxing. "So what's been going on? Is it a girlfriend?"

Arthur felt speechless. What kind of father was this nosy in his son's business? "Dad—"

A sudden commotion drew his attention. Mr. Phillips turned to look behind him, where a waiter had spilled a tray over one of the customers.

"That's a lot of food," his dad muttered absentmindedly, meanwhile Arthur had only one thought on his mind.

"[First name]?" Arthur's eyes widened as he recognized you among the chaos.

You got up immediately, the hot food on your lap stung.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry!" The girl said quickly as she realised what she had done, "Let me go get some tissue!" She scurried off and Jeremy left after her.

You stood there alone and realised how pathetic this situation was. After standing still for a moment you left going to the water fountain by the tennis courts. You didn't want to risk going inside and running into them.