Chapter 5

After the incident with Jeremy, you went silent; only responding to your parents' texts to reassure them you were okay. Jeremy called, obviously, but you didn't answer.

The exam day came in a flash, and you got ready to sit the test. You had hyper-fixated on this exam for the past two weeks, naturally confident you'd pass. You'd spent a lot of your time studying at night with the curtain open; it helped you feel less stuffy. You drove to pick up Marcia. She didn't have a car, and you were happy enough to take her since she offered to pay for parking. She was dressed to slay, her hair in two stylized ponytails, her lashes newly installed, and her makeup perfect. She wore a bandana top and dark jeans, sunglasses attached to her hip and phone in her pocket. You could tell she had plans for an after-party, something you hadn't even thought about.

"Girl, what are you wearing?" she asked as she got into the car.

You looked down at your hoodie and flare leggings and looked at her exasperated. "Comfort over looks this time, I can't afford to fail this exam."

"Still, doesn't mean you should let yourself go."

You felt your temple artery bulge. You did your brows and put on some lip gloss today, you avoided the mascara in case you wanted to cry after the exam. "Let's just go," you said stiffly as she got in.

The exam site was packed with people. Considering it was a national exam, it made sense to see people from other colleges. You found a place to park and paid before going to find the seating plan. You made sure to come early so you weren't panicking before it was time to start. You said goodbye to Marcia since she was in another room and headed to find yours.

"[First Name]?" Arthur's voice came from behind you, and there he was.

He wore a hoodie over a collared shirt and another turtleneck, the sleeves of his hoodie were pushed up, revealing his forearms, which were tense and indicative of his nervousness. He wore his glasses this time, giving him a studious look.

He smiled as he came over to you. You smelled the faint scent of cigarettes and your nose scrunched up so you took an immediate step back.

He looked at you like you had shot his cat.

"What's wrong?" He asked in a hurt voice. 

"You smell like smoke, just stay away. I don't want to use my inhaler today."

His face turned pitch black, but you didn't have time to entertain him. "Good luck with your exam, Arthur," you said before promptly leaving.

'He looked happy to see me, but I really can't risk it' you thought to yourself as you ran away. 

The exam room was a large hall filled with rows of desks. Each desk had a candidate number on it, and you quickly found yours. The tension in the room was palpable as students settled into their seats, flipping through notes and exchanging nervous glances. The invigilators walked around, ensuring everyone was seated correctly and had their identification ready.

As the exam started, you focused on the questions, your mind racing through everything you had studied. The first section was multiple-choice, and you breezed through it, feeling confident. The second section required longer written answers, and you took your time to organize your thoughts before writing. Each question seemed to blend into the next, and you lost track of time as you worked through the paper.

You glanced up occasionally to see the invigilators walking between the rows, their footsteps echoing in the silent hall. The clock on the wall seemed to move faster than usual, but you managed to stay on track, answering each question as thoroughly as possible. By the time the exam ended, you just felt relieved.