Chapter 7

You took a deep breath, trying to steady your nerves. The confrontation with your mother had been exhausting, but now you had to face an even bigger challenge: your father. You glanced at Arthur, who was standing by your side; his previous confidence had vanished into thin air now that you were this close to meeting your father.

"Remember, just be yourself," you whispered to him. "My father is intimidating, but if you show confidence, he might respect you." 

He wouldn't, your father didn't respect anyone that hadn't beat him in a fight.

Arthur nodded, his back soaked in cold sweat. "I'll do my best."

You both made your way to your father's study. The walk through the mansion's grand halls felt like a journey down memory lane. You remembered playing in these halls as a child, the many family gatherings, and Jeremy...

You reached the heavy wooden door of your father's study and knocked. A stern voice from inside told you to enter. You pushed open the door and walked in, Arthur following close behind.

Your father, a tall and imposing man with a stern expression, was sitting behind his massive mahogany desk. His presence filled the room, making it feel smaller than it actually was. He looked up from the papers he was reading and fixed his sharp gaze on you and Arthur.

"[Nickname], Arthur Phillips," he said, his voice cold and authoritative. "Take a seat."

You and Arthur sat down in the chairs facing your father's desk. The silence in the room was palpable, the tension thick enough to cut with a knife.

"I understand there's been some... interesting news," your father began, his eyes never leaving Arthur. "An engagement, if I'm not mistaken."

"Yes, Father," you replied, you weren't gonna let Arthur get too scared. "Arthur and I are engaged."

Your father's eyes narrowed slightly. "Arthur, is it? Tell me about yourself."

Arthur took a deep breath, gathering his courage. "Sir, my name is Arthur Phillips. I'm currently studying at the same university as [First Name]. I am from the Phillips family, my future is secured. My main goal is to support and make your daughter happy."

'Wow, good job.' You complimented him in your head. 

Your father leaned back in his chair, studying Arthur intently. "And what makes you think you're worthy of my daughter?"

Arthur met your father's gaze head-on. "I can give your daughter anything she needs, I am confident in my ability to provide for her."

'Ayyee, go, Arthur go!'

Your father remained silent for a moment, his expression unreadable. Then, he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his desk. "What can you give my daughter that I can't?"

Arthur paused. The only thing he could give that your father couldn't.. "I plan to dedicate my life to her."

Your father's expression wavered. 

'You're laughing in your head, aren't you?'

 You glared at your dad making sure he kept a serious face, if he laughed, Arthur would feel bad. Your father cleared his throat. "And you, [Nickname]? Is this truly what you want?"

You smiled sweetly. "Yes, Father. Arthur is the one I want to be with. He makes me happy, and I believe we can build a good life together. We are so compatible in multiple ways."

Now his expression was dark. 

'See if you can laugh now!'

Arthur didn't know if he should be turned on or scared.