Chapter 20

The relaxing music filled the living room while Victoria did some morning yoga. She had been advised to be a bit more active. Slowly building up to doing something more demanding than beginner's yoga. But then the doorbell rang and took her out of her zen moment.

"Come in", said her dad. "She's in the living room".

Victoria assumed it was Alicia visiting, even though she didn't mention anything to her but then she saw who had arrived and her heart skipped several beats.

"Fermín? What are you doing here?"

"I thought we could go for a walk and I could take you somewhere nice to eat. We could have lunch together if you want to".

"But, dad...".

"Go with him", said her dad, smiling.

Instead of running towards Fermín, Victoria ran towards her dad.

"Thank you", she said, hugging him. "I love you".

"I love you too, princess".

And it was then he realised how long it had been since his daughter told him that she loved him. And how he hadn't been deserving of her love. He didn't want that to happen again.

After hugging her dad, Victoria jumped into Fermín's arms. He lifted her, laughing. And then he finally kissed her like he had wanted to for weeks.

"I can't believe you're here", she whispered.

"Don't pinch me to see if it's a dream. I bruise easily".

"I need to get changed before we leave. Come to my room".

Fermín looked at Oscar. He still worried he'd change his mind and didn't want to make him mad. "I could wait here...".

"No, I want you to see my room. And you can help me pick my outfit. I want to look good for you".

"You always look good...".

Victoria took Fermín's hand and walked him upstairs.

"Door has to stay open, Vicky!", said her dad and it made her laugh. That was such a normal request. It felt like she was living someone else's life now.

Fermín looked around the room, fascinated to finally see the place after all this time. There was a time when he thought he would never be able to see Victoria again. So actually being in her room, sitting on her bed, felt surreal.

"Are you really here?"

"I am, Vicky. Come here".

She walked to the bed and sat on Fermín's lap. His arms wrapped around her waist quickly and Victoria placed her head on his shoulder. She sighed deeply, feeling so stupidly happy.

"I've missed you".

"Not as much as I've missed you. But we're together now. And you look better. You're feeling better, right?"

"Yes", she nodded. "So much better. And now you're here with me, I'll be even better".

It was painful to separate for the few minutes it took for Victoria to get dressed so they could leave. But then she showed up again wearing a beautiful summer dress.

"Do I look pretty?"

"You're always the prettiest", said Fermín, looking at her and also not believing they were back together. He offered his hand for her to take. "Let's go. I can't wait to show you off".

Hiding a relationship meant no one could see you doing the most basic relationship things. Like holding hands while going for a walk. So even that simple detail felt so special for Fermín and Victoria.

"We can sit there and eat", said Fermín pointing at the empty bench under the tree.

"I'm so hungry!"

"Yeah? I brought some things I know you like. And your dad said they fit the diet you are doing so it should be fine...but I could go find something else quickly. I don't mind".

Victoria laughed at Fermín's comments. He was so cute.

"You don't have to treat me as if I was made of glass, you know?"

"I was so worried about you, Vicky", he said, placing his hand on her face and caressing her cheek with his thumb. "I still am. I haven't been able to see you and then you get sick...it's been a nightmare".

"I'm sorry".

"There's nothing you need to apologize for. But I need you to keep looking after yourself".

"I will. I'm doing a lot better. The doctor said I could see the results by the time the next appointment comes if I follow his advice. And I know he'll be impressed by my progress".

"Good".

It was true that Victoria was getting her appetite back. And she was enjoying food again too. The flavours, the textures, ...plus it all tasted even better when Fermín was sitting next to her.

"Is my dad really letting us date?"

"Yes. I'm not going to defend him because he's hurt me too. But I guess I get the way he reacted in a way. And he's trying to fix this. He's really scared".

"I know", she said. "When we went to see the therapist, he basically told me the depression started way before I met you. So it was just meant to happen at some point. My dad feels really guilty his actions were what kickstarted the worst part of the depression. He knows he overprotected me so much, he actually hurt me. I know he was trying his best to help me but went about it the wrong way".

"Well, now he's learnt from his mistakes. And also, I'm here to make you happy again".

"Yeah...you're doing pretty well so far".

Victoria leaned forward to kiss Fermín. She kept stealing kisses from him whenever she felt like it. It felt so great to be able to do that.
"Also", she started. "I'm sorry about the pregnancy scare and how my dad told you. I didn't tell you before I took the test because I was too scared about it and then it was negative so why scare you for no reason?"

"It's fine. He apologised for that and wanted to do it again in front of the squad but I said his apology was enough. But don't keep those things from me in the future, please. We're stronger when we support each other".

"We are...were you scared when my dad told you?"

"Like I've never been before", he laughed. "But if you had been pregnant and wanted to keep the baby, I would have been by your side every step of the way".

"Really?", Fermín nodded. "When I first noticed my period was late, I wanted to be pregnant. I thought it would force my dad to allow you to be with me. But then I realised how not ready I am to be a mum. And...I should be happy about having a baby because I want the baby. Not because I can use it as a tool to get something else".

"I get that...I also thought for a second that it'd be a reason why they wouldn't be able to separate us. But I'm also glad we can wait and become parents when it makes more sense for us. We got plenty of time ahead of us".

"But just so you know", said Victoria, smiling widely. "I do daydream about the day I marry you and we have kids and you teach them to play football...".

"Those are good dreams. I might have thought about that a few times as well".

Their giggles could be heard by the people sitting nearby. No one knew who they were. But they could tell how in love they were. No one could ever doubt that.

--

A/N: I wanted to include the talk between Fermín and Oscar in this chapter somehow but it didn't work structure-wise. So come back tomorrow for a little bonus chapter where you can read it 😉