Chapter 2

Seven days. Seven days he'd been arguing and advocating for her release with Rhysand. For seven days he listened to the same rehearsed list of excuses as to why Rhys wouldn't budge on his decision.

"You and I both know that the gate to Velaris was sealed with blood magic. Only those whose blood is linked to the seal can pass through, which she shouldn't have been able to do. On top of that we don't know what world she came from. I'm not risking the lives of my family-my court, which includes you- on what equates to no more than a hunch."

While the High Lord's statements were reasonable and valid points, his insistence she remained confined in that dark and dank cell was not. Lucien hastily made his way down the main steps that lead into the catacombs, thoughts of his last spat with Rhysand swirling in his mind.

"Why do you care so much about what happens to this woman?" Rhys had questioned. Lucien had asked himself the same thing; but how could he say that it was less about her and more about what she represented? That when he saw her cowering form in the corner of that cell, images of Feyre, Elain, and Jesminda flashed through his mind. He had failed the two sisters. He had failed his first love. He would sooner have the Cauldron blast him from existence should he fail to protect another innocent female. He'd kept his composure standing in Rhysand's office at the River House long enough. A simmering rage permeated the space as the raven-haired male stared him down. A silent challenge in the already tense atmosphere.

"How can you stand your own hypocrisy?" He seethed, "You sit there thinking of yourself so high and mighty, yet a simple human frightens you? You allowed Feyre into Velaris the second week she spent with you. You allowed Bryce into your home within minutes of her crashing into our world. Yet this human...this woman scares you so much you have her imprisoned in one of the most dangerous areas of your court?"

"ENOUGH!" Rhysand bellowed; his own violet orbs simmered with rage. Lucien felt his flames rise up and encircle his palms. Rhysand's High Lord command held no sway, so he continued.

"Are you that much of a coward that you could not have just asked her a few simple questions? You couldn't have just looked into her-"

"I could not enter her mind!" Rhys' breaths were ragged. "Something is protecting that mortal, and it is strong enough to keep me out. So long as those shields of hers remain impenetrable I cannot trust her. I must keep my mate and child safe." Lucien scoffed; his fire dwindled. "Which is not something I can say I see you doing for your own."

Lucien could still feel the cracking of bone and cartilage of Rhys' nose as it connected with his fist. The argument surely would have resulted in them demolishing the entirety of the business wing had Azriel's arrival not stopped the two males in their tracks. The Shadowsinger's haggard appearance set them both on edge, but his words allowed Lucien to breathe a sigh of relief.

"I'm done with this Rhys. I cannot keep hur- I cannot do this... she knows nothing." The High Lord merely looked between the Emissary and the Spymaster. Expression relaxed and revealing nothing, even as blood dripped over his lips.

"Bring her up to the Moonstone Palace," the commanded was towards his brother, "Since Lucien is so smitten with the woman, he shall remain with her there for the time being."

Lucien soon found himself outside of her cell. Only darkness and cold emanated from beyond the door. He paused his own breathing, wondering if she was even still alive. The last time he saw her, she hadn't hesitated to slice open her own skin. Azriel wasn't far behind and pushed past Lucien to enter the room. Lucien's breath remained caught in his throat as he took in the mangled sight of her.