Chapter 8

**Disclaimer: The reference to Frozen characters and locations belong to Disney. 

Lucien paced back and forth, needing to expel the energy that was building up inside him. His morning had started just fine, heading downstairs to the town house kitchen while (Y/N) slept. He hadn't expected to come across Rhysand's petite second in command. Perhaps the former ancient being was now technically third with Feyre taking on more actual leadership duties. Amren had been looking for the Shadowsinger, when she came upon him cooking breakfast for himself and (Y/N). Clearly taking the opportunity to make her personal opinion on his relationship with the human known. The short conversation that followed riled him more than he liked and all he wanted to do was process the topic with the very person that was its focus. However, his friend was now at the mercy of Bryce and Nesta for whatever asinine experiment that the redhead surely concocted.

She hadn't even been gone for an hour and already Lucien felt that he was going to wear a hole in the area rug in front of their...her bed. He willed himself to ignore the slip. Even though he slept in it every night he spent in Velaris, his own apartment long forgotten, this was her room. Everything in here belonged to her... except his mechanical eye zoned in on the second toothbrush in the ensuite bath.

"Shit," He quickly looked around the room, finally taking note of his scattered clothing. A shirt was tossed across the back of the vanity chair and the cuff from a pair of breeches poked out from under her nightdress in the dirty clothes basket. He sat back down at the foot of the plush mattress. The top side of the heavy feather down duvet was cold to the touch. The bedroom window was wide open to allow the autumn air to cool the room. He was well aware that she enjoyed the cold air surrounding her as she snuggled into the warmth of her bed. He had to admit that he found peace in seeing her relaxed features when he joined her in the bed's cozy embrace. Maybe that imp was right. Maybe he had become too wrapped up in caring for...her nightmares to realize that a line had been crossed.

Lucien flopped back onto the bed; arm slung over his eyes to block out the mid-morning sun. Vanilla and honey wafted over his nostrils; his human companion's scent was thankfully the primary one still lingering in the sheets. He took a few deep breaths trying to will the restless energy away when he felt his heart rate suddenly spike. In a rush he sat up and looked around, almost expecting to see an unknown threat at the threshold of the room. He peered out into the hall, the town house completely silent save for Hunt's deep slumbering breaths down the hall. Panic set into his bones. With a quick flourish he produced a scrape of paper and pen and scribbled a message to Rhysand. He wasn't entirely sure if daemati would be aware of any mental attempts to reach out to him, so pen and paper it was. Another quick flick and the paper vanished. Within seconds the High Lord was standing before him.

"Elain is fine, she just set out to do some shopping with Nyx. Feyre couldn't wait any longer for (Y/N)," Rhysand's voice strained to sound indifferent, but he was clearly irritated that he had been summoned. "Where is she by the way? It's unlike her to be late." Lucien had the good sense to keep his face as neutral as possible. It wasn't surprising to find out that the High Lord wasn't privy to his sister-in-law's little excursion. But it was unlike (Y/N) to allow herself to be kept late from her time as Nyx's governess. However, before he had the chance to respond a ripple of power washed over the High Lord.

"There's an intruder in the Night Court," His eyes flashed as darkness began to curl around him.

"(Y/N)," Lucien was instantly breathless. Something was wrong with (Y/N)...

"She's at the Prison," Rhysand grabbed Lucien's wrist and before he could object the pair had winnowed away.

Wind whipped around as what Lucien could only assume was the Prison entrance loomed before them. The trio of females was nowhere in sight. His heart was racing, and an uneasy feeling sunk to the bottom of his stomach. He looked around for any sign of life, but the island proved to be just as desolate as he expected. Without a word Rhysand took off in a sprint up the left slope. Lucien's worry had him following.