𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝐎𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐬

┉ˏ͛ ༝̩̩̥͙ ⑅͚˚   ҉  ⑅͚˚ ͛༝̩̩̥͙ ˎ┉

The next morning, Agnes sat in the drawing room of the Queen's residence, her patience wearing thin. The constant parade of suitors, each more insipid than the last, was enough to test even her well-honed self-control. She plastered a polite smile on her face, nodding and responding with the required courtesies, but inside, she was screaming for an escape.

Then she saw Anthony walk into the drawing room, Agnes just sighed and shook her head.

"Lord Bridgerton, I see you're here for calling hour as well." Agnes spoke icily at him.

Anthony sat across Agnes with a confident smile, seemingly unfazed by her icy demeanor. "Indeed, Miss Stark. It seems calling hour has become quite the social event."

Agnes arched an eyebrow, her polite smile never reaching her eyes. "How delightful for you. I imagine you must be enjoying yourself immensely."

Anthony chuckled, sensing her frustration. "I can't say it's my favorite activity, but duty calls, doesn't it?"

Agnes's patience was wearing thin. "Duty or not, I find this entire charade rather tiresome."

Anthony's smile softened, and he leaned in slightly, lowering his voice. "I can't say I disagree with you, Miss Stark. These gatherings are often more about spectacle than substance."

Agnes's gaze flickered with a hint of surprise. "You surprise me, Lord Bridgerton. I would have thought you thrived in such settings."

Anthony shrugged, his expression earnest. "Appearances can be deceiving. I, too, seek more than just empty conversations and superficial connections."

Agnes just nodded. "Well, like I said, I wish you luck in your endeavors, Lord Bridgerton. I am certain you will find what you are looking for."

Anthony's eyes remained fixed on her, his determination evident. "And what about you, Miss Stark? What is it that you seek?"

Agnes hesitated, her guard slipping for a moment. "I seek...something genuine. Something real."

Anthony nodded, his respect for her growing. "Then perhaps we are not so different after all."

Agnes sighed inwardly, deciding to address the elephant in the room. "Lord Bridgerton, if you truly seek someone genuine, I suggest you turn your attention to Miss Edwina Sharma. She is everything you seem to be looking for. She embodies grace, intelligence, and kindness."

Anthony looked taken aback, his brow furrowing. "And what about you, Miss Stark? Are you suggesting I give up my pursuit of you?"

Agnes met his gaze steadily. "Yes, I am. It's better off that we remain friends rather than try to force a match that isn't right. Trust me, Lord Bridgerton, I am not the woman you think you should marry. Edwina, however, is a perfect candidate for a Viscountess."