07. route 666

Sam stirred, his eyes squinting against the morning sun that filtered through Karolyn's sheer curtains, casting a warm glow over the room. With a gentle movement, he lifted his head from her chest, his gaze finding her face, softened in sleep.

Her tousled hair mirrored his own disheveled state, strands scattered haphazardly across the pillow. Sam lingered, silently observing her peaceful expression, committing every feature to memory.

Reluctantly, he sat up, a sense of unease settling in his chest at the thought of leaving her side for even a second. Rubbing the remaining sleep from his half-lidded eyes, Sam's gaze lingered on the girl's form before he untangled himself from the sheets and rose from the bed.

As he made his way to the bathroom, Sam's mind was bombarded with conflicting thoughts. He hesitated, his reflection staring back at him from the mirror.

With a sigh, Sam brushed a hand through his hair, attempting to compose himself. He couldn't allow himself to blur the lines that defined their relationship. He'd already lost too much to gamble it all away.

"Sam?" The sound of Karolyn's voice pulled him from his thoughts, drawing his attention to the bathroom door.

"Just a minute," he replied.

𐬹 ۫ ۪ ᩍ     ꔫ 

"It's windy," Karo remarked, her eyes following the swaying trees and scattered leaves outside the window as a strong breeze blew through the air.

"Very, but let's focus on what's important," Char said, patting Karo's knee in a bid to regain her attention. "You spent the night with Sam? Just cuddling?"

"Well, yeah—"

"He just wanted to hold you, and you still don't realize he's totally into you?" Char scoffed, her disbelief evident in her wide eyes and raised eyebrows.

"I just don't want to get my hopes up," Karo said, her voice laced with uncertainty. "We haven't really talked since this morning. We just got ready and stuff," she added, casting a lingering glance outside where Sam stood, a map spread out over the hood of the car. Dean was opposite Sam, filling the gas tank.

"You haven't had the chance," Char pointed out, her tone softening.

"Okay, yeah. That's true," Karo admitted with a sigh, her shoulders slumping slightly. "Yesterday was a lot for me. There was... a change, you know? In how he looks at me."

"If even you can see it now, there's no denying it," Char said, a knowing smile playing on her lips.

"Shut up," Karo rolled her eyes but couldn't suppress a small smile as she glanced over at Sam, who had just gotten back into the car. His face was tense, his jaw clenching and unclenching as he stared ahead.

"What did Dean do now?" she joked, a soft smile on her lips as he turned to meet her gaze.

"Nothing, just a change of plans," he exhaled, a tinge of frustration clear in his voice.

"What do you mean?"

"We're not going to Pennsylvania," Sam shrugged.

"Ready?" Dean interrupted, slamming his door as he settled into the driver's seat, the car rocking slightly with the force.

"What's this whole not going to Pennsylvania thing about?" Karo asked, her curiosity evident as she glanced over at Dean. He maneuvered the car out of the gas station and onto the open road, the tires crunching over gravel before finding smooth pavement.

"An old friend called. Her father was killed. Car crash," Dean explained, his eyes briefly meeting Karo's before returning to the road.

"And by an old friend, you mean...?" Char quirked a brow, her interest clearly piqued at the mention of another woman. Karo couldn't help but smile at Char's expression, shaking her head subtly. Despite Char's constant reminders that Dean was just a "hook up," her jealousy was all too apparent.