Eve

I definitely would prefer to have the rematch now, but I get the fact that there are other races.

But I still complain to Leo the whole way home.

"You better win. That guy's a jerk. I bet he's from Ignis." Leo says as he kicks a rock in front of us.

I slightly roll my eyes, "I will win. I don't care where he's from, I will beat him."

But it will feel even better if he's Ignisian.

It takes us a little longer to get back to the castle since we don't have as much energy or adrenaline anymore. But we still make decent time.

By the time we get to the tunnels, I'm sprinting towards my room. This is the most dangerous part. I could be seen at any moment and I don't know how I would explain myself.

I've had some major close calls before. For example, when I was still figuring out what path to take, I turned a corner that had a guard stationed. Luckily, I was able to come up with a decent lie. I said I was going to the kitchen, and he somehow believed me.

I eventually make it to my room and Ruby was there waiting for me. She's just straightening up my room a little bit and when she notices me come in she helps me out of my gear.

"So how did this race go?" she asks as she places my cloak on my vanity.

"Not great, actually. I tied with someone." I said as I pulled my boots off.

"Seriously? They couldn't tell who was first?" she asked, jaw slightly dropped.

I shake my head, "Nope. We have a rematch scheduled for a week from today."

She laughed in disbelief and put away my gear while I threw on a pink dress she pulled out for me.

"Did anything interesting happen while I was gone?"

Ruby closes my closet, "Not really... Oh! Your father needs to speak to you about something."

Stiffen up a little bit, I don't usually converse with my father, it's usually a servant or Ruby who tells me anything important.

"Really? Well, is there a specific time he would like to speak?"

"I believe he said right after dinner."

Slowly nod and look at the grandfather clock in the corner of my room.

Two hours.

I'm going to be stressed out for two hours.

Eh, I've gone longer.

I talked to Ruby for the rest of the afternoon as she helped me freshen up.

She routinely helps me stay calm before any big event, and talking to my father is one.

We eventually head down to the dining area and I sit down where I always do, the seat to the left of the head.

My father is very picky about everything, so that's where I always sit. If Ruby or Leo are invited to join us they would be to my left. And my mother is always across from me, to my father's right.

My mother and father enter at the same time, and since my father didn't comment on Ruby sitting beside me, she stays.

They sit down, and right as they do so, the kitchen crew comes out and starts serving our first course.

Carrot soup?

Oh no. I see where this is going.

As the meal continues all of my father's favorite foods are served.

This conversation is going to be awful.

I eat silently other than saying thank you to any staff I see.

My father never does so I overcompensate.

As we finish eating, the staff takes our dishware and Ruby starts to take her leave.

Until my father stops her.

"Ruby, would you mind staying for this conversation?"

She stops and nods slightly, "Of course not, Your Majesty."

As she sits back down my father's eyes dart back to me, "Eve tomorrow we will have some visitors over for dinner, and you are required to be there."

My eyebrows knit together and I look at him, confused, "I am? Usually, you tell me to stay up in my room when we have company. Are these visitors from our kingdom?"

"No, quite the opposite," he pauses for just a moment, it seemed like he wasn't even sure he wanted to continue. But then my mother takes his hand.

"They are from Ignis."

My eyes went wide and my jaw dropped.

"What do you mean they are from Ignis?! And why am I needed for dinner with anyone?"

"The dinner is with the King and Queen of Ignis, and they are bringing their son, so you will also be making an appearance." he starts to stand and I jump up.

"But they're our worst enemies!"

He nods and starts to turn away from me, "Yes, but we have to make sure our truce lasts."

I'm about to say something else but I feel Ruby's hand on my shoulder and I realize he's done speaking to me.

I shrug her hand off and turn towards her, "I'm guessing he told you how to prepare me tomorrow?"

She nods and looks at me sympathetically, "Yeah, he told me everything I needed to know."

I roll my eyes and turn on my heel.

I'm tired of this life! My father doesn't care about how I feel. I'm constantly forced to do things I don't want to do. I can't even do the one thing I happily do! And my mother doesn't stand up to my father, she just follows his lead!

I get it, I'm privileged to be royalty, and I've done things no one else has got the chance to do. But I'm sick of it! I want to live a normal life! But my life consists of being locked in this kingdom.

THAT BARELY KNOWS THAT I EXIST!

No matter how hard I try, I can't have a normal life. I think it's time to just accept it because my father's opinions aren't going to change anytime soon.

I know Ruby is following me but she's keeping her distance. I sigh and walk back towards her, "How about you have the rest of the evening off. I think I'm just going to head to bed."

She hesitates for a moment but she knows me well enough by now to give me space when I need it.

And I definitely need it right now.