Eve

Breakfast was quite uneventful as I was only able to sit down for about fifteen minutes before Ruby rushed me off to see Isabel, the royal family's seamstress, to go get a fitting done for my birthday gown.

I turn 18 in a few weeks, so everything involved is important, including my gown.

But this is one of the last fittings so I shouldn't have to worry about it for too much longer.

"Good morning, Isabel, how have you been?" I say as I walk into the older woman's workspace.

"Quite well, Your Highness, thank you for asking. I had a strike of inspiration a few days ago on some extra details we could add to your gown if you have time to sit and chat for a moment?" she says sophisticatedly as she motions towards a small table with a few tables around it.

I noticed the multiple sketches scattered amongst other knick knacks on the table, informing me that, like always, she wanted to talk to me first before adding anything, which is very respectable and appreciated.

I look over to Ruby and she nods, confirming we have a little wiggle room so I simply smile at Isabel and make a move towards the table. Isabel follows and sits across from me, Ruby keeping a slight distance, and standing in a different part of the room, just looking at sketches posted on the walls.

"Now, I've been wanting to add some embroidery to the skirt of the gown like I do for most of my work for you and your family, and I've landed on two choices, rain lilies and water poppies. They're both beautiful, delicate flowers that I think could work well. I also have a third choice though which is the gladiolus. The gladiolus is known to represent strength and moral integrity, and has the more commonly known name as the sword lily. I have a few photos of all three and would be happy to let you look at these during your fitting."

I smile at the woman in appreciation, "You are incredible, Isabel. I think all three would look lovely. But if I must pick, is there a way to make a design that involves the rain lilies and the gladiolus? They both immediately caught my attention and I think they could look lovely together."

She grins, "Of course, Your Highness. I'll make note of that right now."

And she does. She writes down the two flower names on a piece of paper beside a sketch of my gown and then stands up so she can motion me towards the fitting area of the room.

The fitting itself barely takes half an hour as we've had so many fittings that the dress is almost perfect. Not just in size, but as she continues to construct the dress and add more detailed parts of it, my belief in its perfection grows.

Once Isabel is finished, I thank her for her time and head out of her workspace with Ruby.

"You're going to look absolutely beautiful, Eve," Ruby says as she walks beside me towards the front of the castle.

I can't help but smile, "Thank you, Ruby."

We make our way to the entrance of the castle and make our way outside. Outside of the tall, oakwood doors, there's a carriage waiting for me and Ruby. I notice the two bright, white horses that will be leading the carriage to the kingdom library and I can't help but think of Ash.

Which immediately makes me start thinking of our last race.

Where we tied.

That still causes me to start fuming.

But our rematch isn't for another six days so I have to stay collected until then.

By the end of my minor rage, we had made it to the library that is located close to the center of town. I immediately notice the many families in line outside of the old buildings doors and I smooth out my skirt as we come to a stop.

"Alright we'll be here for a few hours. Is there anything you want me to tell Mr. Martin when we get inside?" Ruby asks as she quickly collects the things she had quickly scattered amongst the carriage.

She may organize my life, but that does not mean she's neat.

"Perhaps some water, but I don't need much."

She nods and signals to the chauffeur that we are ready to come out and a few moments later he is opening the door with a light bow. I hear the crowd's excitement and I follow Ruby out of the carriage as elegantly as I can.

I smile and make my way into the library and follow Ruby to the area where I always read to the children. Mr. Martin, the head librarian, has already laid out many books around a chair for me to choose from and as I make it to the chair he is walking over with a cup filled with water.

"For you, Your Highness," he says with a smile and bright eyes as he bows to me.

I nod with a small smile, "Thank you, Mr. Martin. It's always a pleasure to see you and come to your wonderful building."

His smile grows and he just nods before making his way towards the entrance of the building.

Soon enough, the library is filled with people and I am reading some of my old favorites to the people I hope to one day devote my life to helping.

Which better happen.

My parents better let me actually take part in my role as Princess when I turn eighteen.

Because that's just wrong if they don't.

But who knows, today is the first time I've ever been to a meeting that involves another royal family.

Which means this could be my only chance to prove I'm ready to take on more responsibilities.

Crap.