Julian

The voyage to Lymphia is long and dreadful. Stuck in a carriage all by my lonesome as the royal family can't all be in the same place at the same time, unless the country wants to lose their precious heir.

If they do, well, it's open territory.

But my parents would have none of that.

Well, at least I'm not entirely alone.

My courtier, Benjamin, is the definition of his position. He is there for any need I have and is always within 10 feet of me if I should ever need him.

So, he is the only company I have in my carriage.

"We should be arriving to the Lymphian palace within the hour, your highness," Benjamin states with impeccable posture and a proper glance in my eyes.

I nod, "Thank you, Benjamin."

Disgusting. I've already been in this stupid thing long enough that the sun has started its descent, whereas it was at the top of the sky when we departed.

Though I suppose the distance makes sense. Because of the lack of cooperation my father says the Lymphian has, it's not surprising we haven't made any progress within this century.

Perhaps I'm being dragged along on this journey to try and change that.

Wonderful, I'm a pathetic pawn in my father's plan.

A glance out of the window sends endless images past my sight; tall trees that are surrounded by blooming vegetation, in Ignis we don't have this kind of environment. Our spring is more wet. Whereas our autumn is absolutely beautiful. Our taller trees go through magnificent color changes. The most beautiful reds and oranges and the sunsets change enough to match them.

It's perhaps my most favorite time of the year.

I admire the different sights though, as the time passes. I must find some enjoyment before this dreadful evening takes place.

I start thinking about the race due to take place soon. It shouldn't even need to take place, as I'm sure Hades and I beat that dreadful girl. But I can't say I'm not excited to go against her and her dragon again. It was a beautiful beast, I believe it's name to be Ash. It was a strong competitor against Hades, its rider gave quite the fight as well.

Riders like her make me wish the riders weren't as anonymous.

But that's the way of dragon racing I suppose.

We start to quickly pass through small towns and soon enough the more heavily populated area starts to face me.

Most of the homes look quaint, like they have just enough space to be enjoyable to live in. But the towns are lively and the people seem to look happy with themselves.

I guess I have never heard about the actual living conditions of Lymphia, just the awfulness of the royal family.

The carriage begins to slow and soon enough I feel it turning just enough for me to realize we are at the entrance of the palace. Once Benjamin steps out, he gestures to the open door, "We have arrived your Highness."

Yes I see that you imbecile.

"Thank you, Benjamin," I actually say as I step out.

The palace walls stand tall and proud with vines and other vegetation climbing them.

It's quite the sight.

Once my father has stepped out of his own carriage he strolls over to me.

"This is an important night, Julian," he says with a blank stare, "Not only must we be on our best behavior to prevent the provocation of war, but we must also try to compromise with His Majesty to try and get some supplies sent to us."

"Supplies?" I ask. I never thought we needed anything from anyone, let alone the Lymphians before. Ignis has always been quite self-sufficient.

"Well as you may have seen they have had great blooming this spring, leading to the assumption that they will have a great harvest in the fall. Our harvests have been suffering these last couple of seasons. We must try to compromise our way through an alliance, which will ideally lead to a trade that will provide us with sufficient crops for our people."

"It feels as though I know nothing, Father," I say, holding back any disdain I could.

"It is not your time to know things. I am King, I rule Ignis, I make compromises. This is simply a learning opportunity for you. Don't make me regret it," my father says sternly before walking away from me and towards the servants that were sent to welcome us.

Perhaps I'm not even a pawn, but a fool.

Maybe even both.

"Welcome Your Highness," a Lymphian maid says as she curtsies before me, "If you'd follow me I can lead you to the drawing room."

I suppose this is the beginning to a very, very, long night.