Chapter 16 ~ Reunited

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY that the group's scheme to kill Dart had failed

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY that the group's scheme to kill Dart had failed. As the five of them traipsed through the woods with nothing but the howls of the Demogorgons to guide them in the direction of Hawkins Lab, where Lucas had determined them to have gone, the tension from his and Dustin's squabble over who had put the Party in jeopardy lingered in the atmosphere. Amara had reminded them that they had more important things to deal with, but her involvement in the situation had more to do with the fact that conflict only worsened her anxiety.

        "Are you sure we're headed in the right direction?" Max's voice echoed from behind. She was in the rear of the pack, given that she believed it was foolish of them to pursue the creatures that had tried to kill them a mere half hour ago, but to her anything was better than going home and facing her stepbrother.

        "I don't know. We'll just have to follow the noise until we reach the lab," Dustin answered, adjusting his hat. "God, the one time I forget to bring my compass... "

        Max was confused, having not been around for Dustin's compass lesson. "What do you mean?"

        As Dustin proceeded to explain to Max how the presence of a magnetic field such as a doorway to another dimension could alter the direction of a compass, Amara, who was leading the group alongside Steve, nudged his arm. "Looks like he's taking my advice now."

        "Huh?"

        "Dustin," Amara clarified. Steve glanced back to where Dustin was relaying to Max how they had used their compasses to determine that the gate was within the lab year ago. His eyes were aglow as they naturally were when he brought up anything scientific, and it warmed Amara's heart to see that he was being his nerdy, authentic self even if it was with a girl who didn't return his feelings.

        Steve had gathered what Amara was referring to. Dustin seemed to have gotten the hint that Max didn't like him back after witnessing her grasp Lucas's hand on the bus amid her panic, so what was the use in him pretending not to care if he had no chance with her either way? He did care about her, perhaps more than he wished to, but if displaying his true self made her want to be friends with him, it could also prove useful in the event that he met someone else he liked. All relationships had to start somewhere.

        Could Steve win someone over that way? Who was he even? He was a basketball star and a ladies' man and prom king, or he was, at least until Billy Hargrove swept in and stole his title of Hawkins High King in one short week. But was his popularity already on the decline even before then? Did he even like the photos of fancy sports cars he had on display in his room, or was it all for show? Did he like parties or did he simply feel obligated to go to them? Did he even enjoy being popular to begin with?

        Fuck, he realized as the trail they were hiking began to slope downward, I don't even know who the hell I am.

        "Everything alright?" Amara asked tentatively. Steve glimpsed to his side to meet her concerned gaze, and he knew that it wasn't fair of him to lie to her when he had compelled her to tell him the truth about her own identity crisis. She of all people would understand what he was going through.