Chapter 40

Moselle

The roar of running water from the falls starts to die away the further we move into the caverns. Shuri and Mbaku lead the way. Namor stays in front of me while Attuma follows us from behind.

I feel the cavern walls and trace the faint purple vines that run along the wall like veins in a body. The walls feel like they're pulsing under my fingertips.

"What is this place?" Namor asks.

"It where our ancestors would come for healing or meditation." Mbaku answers. "Legend says the Goddess Bast found this place and used it as her sanctuary. Where she grew the vines that gives our Black Panther their abilities."

I watch as Shuri glances behind at Mbakus words, but she stays silent.

"So, you aren't born with the powers?" I ask. Making my way closer to Mbaku.

"No. The powers are granted to those of royal bloodlines and one must pass through the spirit realm where past ancestors judge if you are worthy of the abilities." Mbaku says.

I watch as Shuri quickly takes a corner of our path and continues walking ahead of us. Mbaku takes a deep breath.

"She seems tense." I say quietly so only Mbaku hears me, causing him to let out a breathy laugh.

"Shuri has been through quite much." He says as he glances to Namor. "Even before some events." He says cooly.

I look at Mbaku waiting for him to continue as we walk.

"A while ago, when Shuris brother was still alive we faced a foe that burned all our sacred plants that we use in ceremonial rise to powers. The very plants that give the Black Panther their ability. But those plants can also be used for healing." I watch as Mbakus face saddens. "When the King got sick, it was Shuri who tried to recreate the plant to save her brother; but she was too late."

I feel my chest tighten. "I know the feeling of being unable to save the ones you love." I say in a hushed tone, but Mbaku heard me. He places his hand on my shoulder and gives me a small smile.

"It is from loss, that we grow strength." He tells me before we walk through an archway that opens into a huge cavern. In the center of the room was a dark pool with vines growing out from the water. Shuri stands near the pool as she waits for us to make our way inside.

"So how are we doing this?" I ask.

"Well." Namor starts. "The demon says three of us drink from the vile, so you, Attuma and I-"

"I will be going." Shuri cuts in. Namor and Mbaku both turn their heads toward her at the same time.

"Are you sure?" I ask her.

She nods her head. "This is my home; I think I should be there."

We watch each other for a moment before I look back to Namor who looks like he's ready to argue. I gently brush my fingers against his and he meets my eyes. I silently tell him it's only fair and he sighs in defeat.

"Fine." He says low.

Mbaku drops his shoulders, probably relieved no arguments broke out.

"So..how do we do this?" Mbaku asks.

"Get into the pool."

I flinch at the sudden voice in my head startling me. Namor wraps his hand around mine and waits for me. I look up at Shuri who is also waiting as well. I don't say anything as I make my way to the pool. Once I reach the edge I sit down and ease my way into the frigid water. Its not as deep as I thought.