Mistaken Identity

Lindsay waited nervously in the common area of Annabelle Bella's mental asylum. She kept telling herself to calm down, to put away her antiquated ideas of what a mental institution was. She couldn't though. What wasn't helping was the reason she was here. Here sister Lena asked her to come visit. She was very insistent that she visit today specifically.

     Lindsay couldn't refuse her sister. They were twins after all. They grew up together and lived most of their life together. It was only after high school that they split off. Suffice it to say that Lena did not take to college quite as well as Lindsay took to trade school. One anxiety driven car accident that injured a poor mother later, and Lena was here. It took a lot of convincing to get her sent to this facility instead of facing jail time.

     It was because of this that Lena wasn't allowed to leave. Not for another few years anyway. Lindsay always felt bad that she got to go on living her life while here sister rotted away in here, another reason why she accepted the weird summons by her sister. She wanted to come visit more, but the place bothered her. Despite her best effort to keep her progressive ideas held high, she couldn't help but feel off in here, even if the room she was in seemed nice.

     It was an open space, and it could be mistaken for a common room at a nursing home instead of a visiting room. All the patients here seemed well adjusted even, having pleasant conversations with the people that had come to visit them. It was as Lindsay was thinking this that finally her identical twin entered the room. Lindsay was a bit surprised at her dress. A short pink dress with some pink bloomers underneath. It looked cute.

"Lena," Lindsay said standing up and offering a hug to her sister.

"Been a while since I've seen you," Lena responded with a closed arm pout, refusing the hug.

"Ok I deserve that," Lindsay admitted sitting back down. "I'm sorry, but I came as soon as I heard you had asked for me."

"I shouldn't have to ask for you," Lena spat back.

"Yeah, you're right," Lindsay said embarrassed. "I'll do better, I promise."

"Oh, you will," Lena said somewhat cryptically. "I am glad you came today though. It's really important."

"Oh?" Lindsay's interest was piqued.

"Yeah," Lean nodded. "Actually, I had made something for during our craft time. I really wanted to give it to you in person."

"That sounds lovely Lena," Lindsay smiled. "I'm sure I'll love it."

"It's just over there," Lena gestured to a door on the other side of the room. "You wait here, I'll go get it. I might be a minute so hold your horses ok. And no peeking. Don't ruin the surprise."

"Ok," Lindsay nodded. "I'll wait right here." She smiled and donned a patient pose while Lena eagerly left the room.

     Unbeknownst to Lindsay, Lena was not going to be getting her anything. She shied away into a small corner of the room, and shifted a loose piece of the floor where she had stored some clothes she had smuggled in. She snickered a bit as she quickly removed her childish dress and bloomers, and the childish diaper underneath those bloomers, before she donned some more casual street clothes that she had worked tirelessly to smuggle in. She glanced back at her sister, still waiting patiently. Part of her almost felt bad for Lindsay. She was about to throw Lindsay under the bus, forcing Lindsay to stay here in her place while she got to live Lindsay's life. Only part of her though. After all, Lindsay had done just the same to her for a year now. Leaving her in here forced to deal with this humiliating treatment without even coming to visit. Well, that was about to change. Lena was lucky that she had a twin, and that twin was gullible enough to come on this day specifically. This day that Lena was due to get a new psychiatrist. One that would come looking for her any minute now, and one that wouldn't be able to tell her apart from her identical twin.