chapter 17: school

✿ ✿ ✿

✿ ✿ ✿

The day has come. The day has come where I'm unfortunately starting school for the second time in the frame of one school year. To say I'm nervous is understatement. I'm fearful, anxious, tense, agitated and mostly, terrified.

I have no expectations, whatsoever, of the actual school. Kipp and I sat the other day on the living room while he explained everything related to his school. The schedules, the teachers — who to avoid and who are actually nice caring tutors —, the possible subjects I'll have to choose, and overall the people that go there. He warned me that there's the typical popular group of friends that, in reality, are actually shitty people in my year and are keen of being awfully rude to people. My brother said I should have no problem, whatsoever, with anyone. He didn't exactly say why, but I indirectly figured out it might as well be because of the reputation him and his twin have at school.

I never cared much about my and other's reputation and stuff, but apparently in this private school — where all the rich kids from the city go to — they do.

Several days ago I went shopping for some school supplies and my uniform with Zeke and Mayne, as well as shoes and a backpack, which only served to encourage my anxiety.

It's already seven in the morning, the perfect time for me to wake up, considering I am to be in class at nine. The sun's soft light easily travels through my curtains and encourages me to jump from bed and start the day.

Debating whether I should sling my kegs off the bed or stay cuddled up in my warmth's bed, I opt for the more depressing but necessary option. But not before letting out a scream onto my pillow. I really wish the floor just swallowed me whole.

     As soon as my sock-covered feet hit the plush carpet beneath my bed, I stroll into the bathroom to wash my face in hopes of waking myself up. The last thing I would wish for on such an anxious as well as important day is to be falling asleep every five seconds.

     I could drink some coffee.

     I shake my though to send the thought away immediately. First of all, I doubt my brothers would allow me to have a bit of coffee based on my age because that would suggest I'm not sleeping accordingly to their rules. Second of all, I do not have the energy nor the courage to ask them this while being nervous because of school. Adding more stress to today's daily tasks won't be happening.

     I'm trying to be positive about school, as I would very much prefer for my enrollment to be as smoothly as possible and not chaotic. I'm hoping the odds are in my favor today.

      Dressed in my new uniform, I walk downstairs dragging my feet. I keep my eyes looking downwards as I make my way to the kitchen. As soon as I step a foot inside, the smell of pancakes invades my nostrils. Spotting the twins already in the dining room with Mayne and Lennox cooking some delicious breakfast, I decide to join the latter, as Nikolai's as well as Mayne's menacing presence will even make me more tense than I already am. Plus Lennox might actually give me my breakfast, even though anxiety is crawling in my stomach and I might eat very little.