03. Detective Haoji ⊹˚₊

"HAOJING, DO YOU MIND if we can meet up after this is over?" She asks, her eyes seeming so familiarly puppy-like.

The raven-haired girl furrows her eyebrows slightly, but nods and smiles nonetheless, "Of course, Woogi-ssi. I'll meet you at your dressing room, is that okay?" Haojing asks politely, seemingly clueless as to what is going through the brunette's mind.

Do we really know eachother? Where did we meet...? Did we have an interview together or something? I can't lie, she does seem very familiar. I just can't put my finger on it... I'll worry about it after our performance.

The girls leave and head towards their dressing room to get touched up and get their mic's taped to their faces.

"Haoji-unnie." Ning calls the older girl, catching more peoples attention with her loud voice than expected. The said girl turns around, "Hmm? What's up, Ningie?"

"Are you friends with Woogi-sunbae?" She asks genuinely, her big eyes filled with curiosity as she sits backwards on a chair, resting her chin on the back of it.

Haojing purses her lips and shakes her head slowly, "I... don't think so?" She smiles sheepishly, "I mean, i can't seem to remember the name, but her face and voice sounds extremely familiar."

Ning's head perks up slowly, suddenly remembering a fact, "Well, don't you know, just like you, she's from Bei–"

"Ten minutes, girls! Chop, chop! We need to get backstage ASAP." Our manager announces loudly, cutting Ning off. Everyone hurriedly shuffles around, rushing to finish off the things they were doing, then heads backstage.

When the girls get backstage, they wait for the staff to finish cleaning the floors and finish setting up the technology stuff after the last performance.

Haojing nudges Ning in the arm softly, "Ningie, did you say Woogi was from Beijing?" She asks, staring at her impatiently waiting for an answer.

The shorter girl nods, "Yeah, she's from Beijing." She pauses to get a look of the taller girl who's brows are now furrowed in thought, "Does that mean you do know her, unnie?"

"..." Haojing stays put for a moment before turning her head towards the younger girl, "Do you know if her name is pronounced differently because of the Hangul spelling?" She asks, her usual serene face turning serious.

The younger girl is a little startled by the seriousness of the usually tranquil girl, her eyebrows raise in surprise, "Ah... I think it is, actually." She pauses, looking at her, "I think you're onto something, unnie!" She smiles at her widely.

The taller girl's stern behaviour suddenly crumbles in a flash as she takes in the enormous smile that her youngest member gave her. She chuckles at her and slings her arm over her shoulder, pulling the smaller girl in for a side hug, "Let's have fun, Ningie."

After their performance, they head back to their dressing room. Since they've not got anything else scheduled for today, they're aloud to relax.

Haojing sits on a couch in aespa's dressing room in her casual wear, thinking about Woogi.

Before her and her members went on stage, she had come to the conclusion that perhaps Woogi was her childhood best friend. The hangul must've been translated to Woogi instead of Yuqi, and she had just gone with it.

She was ninety percent sure she was correct. She turned on her phone and opened google, typing "Song Yuqi" into the search bar. After a few seconds of buffering, her face popped up on the screen. Along with her name and birthday and everything else the internet knew about her.

Haojing scoffed and got out of her seat, searching for someone. She spotted the short black-haired girl and slung her arm around her shoulder. The said girl looked at Haojing, stopped eating and asked, "What's up, unnie? Something wrong?"

Haojing smiled but it was clear she was annoyed, "I think i know how i know Woogi, Ningie."

The smaller girl looked at her and waited for her to continue. "We used to be best friends... Since middle school. I'd only ever seen her name in Hangul, or heard others say her name. It's pronounced yuqi, you know? She hasn't changed much, appearance-wise, but i never imagined i'd meet her again."

She stopped to smile genuinely, "I'm glad she made it as an idol." She looks at the younger girl who just stood there, smiling, "I'm going to find her after the show finishes. What time is it, Ningie?"

Ning held up her phone, the screen blaring, showing that it was half five in the evening. Haojing nodded, giving a big thanks to her youngest member, engulfing her in a huge hug, squeezing her. Eventually, Ning tapped out for air but still encouraged her unnie anyways.

When six pm rolled around, Haojing had told her manager about meeting Yuqi. She surprisingly let her go without an explaination. With this, Haojing walked the white-walled corridors that were filled with staff. With enough searching (and asking a few staff), she had eventually found (G)idle's dressing room.

She knocked on the door hesitantly. It was quiet, so hopefully they heard it. Her hands started sweating — with nervousness and rage. Why hadn't Yuqi contacted her before if she knew who she was? What if she only asked her to come because she wanted something other than to rekindle their friendship?

It's been five years. Isn't it too late?

WRITTEN 07/06/24PUBLISHED 09/06/24

WRITTEN 07/06/24
PUBLISHED 09/06/24