Chapter Twelve: Final Farewell

Zale had a hard time sleeping and eventually woke up early. He decided to visit with his little sister. Little Zelda was asleep in her room, looking like an angel. Zale brushed her hair with his hand and let the blond strands slide between his fingers. She always kept her hair clean and soft. The motion made her turn and open her eyes blearily.

"Hey, sis," Zale said softly. "It's time to wake up. I have something I need to tell you."

Little Zelda sat up in her bed, blinking away the sleep. She asked, "What is it?"

"Not yet, little one," Zale said. "Get dressed and then we can talk over breakfast."

Zale stepped out to Salvatore to bring his and Zelda's breakfast up to them while Zelda changed out of her nightclothes. Once Zelda was dressed, Zale returned to her side and waited for the food to arrive.

"Can you tell me now?" Zelda asked, excited.

Zale's heart sank. How was he supposed to tell her? He had to be the one to do it, though. She had to know before he told anyone else.

"Sit down, Zelda," Zale said, his voice husky.

Zelda caught the mood immediately and sat down, subdued.

"This isn't something fun," she said.

Zale shook his head. Slowly, his eyes closed. He took a deep breath and began.

"You know how Father's been missing?"

Zelda's breath caught. "Yes."

Zale took another deep breath. "I'm afraid he... he didn't make it home." He saw tears in his sister's eyes. "He... he... father... well, he was... killed." Zale swallowed hard as Zelda looked desperately at him. "I'm so sorry, little sis."

Seeing her tears brought out his own tears, and together they started crying uncontrollably. They hugged each other fiercely. The pain was unbearable, but it was worse now that Zelda felt it, too. Zale wanted to take all of the hurt from her, even if it meant taking it on himself.

Zale didn't know how much time had passed when there was a knock on the door. He quickly stood up and answered. Salvatore and Nellie stood there with Zale and Zelda's food. Zale gestured for the food to be brought in but stopped Salvatore.

"Did you tell her about my father?" Zale whispered.

"Yes, Sire, just like you asked," Salvatore responded.

"Thank you."

Nellie was Zelda's handmaiden and best friend, just like Salvatore was to Zale. She knelt beside Zelda and gave her a great big hug. Zale watched for a moment. Maybe things would be okay. They had friends by their sides.

After eating, Zale and Zelda went to the shrine of Goddess Hylia. It was a sacred place in the center of the castle that only the royal family could visit. Therefore, Salvatore and Nellie waited in the chapel that led to the shrine's entrance. Zale and Zelda entered the shrine by themselves. It was a small, rectangular area that was open to the sky. A pool of water separated the Goddess's statue from the viewing platform. The morning light reflected beautifully off of the water.

Zale held Zelda tight beside him. He looked at the Goddess's statue, not currently feeling tears in his eyes. His mind wandered, thinking about all of the things he needed to do next to become king. Occasionally, Zelda's soft sobs broke into his thoughts.

After a few minutes of silence, Zale said, "We'll be okay. Don't worry, Zelda. I'm here for you."

They turned to leave. A bright light made them pause and turn back around. To Zale's astonishment, a semitransparent figure floated above the water.