Chapter Sixteen: A Meeting with the Generals

"Where are they?" Zale asked Salvatore outside of the library.

"They have only just arrived," Salvatore said. "I'm sure they're still in the courtyard."

Zale made a split-second decision and guided Salvatore and Lila to the throne room. Upon entering the throne room, Zale looked at the empty throne with sadness. He approached the grand throne slowly. He felt the oiled cedar as he ran his hand along the armrest. Then he stood back and imagined his father sitting there. King Gaepora's time had passed. Now it was time for Zale to rise.

Feeling determined, Zale sat on the throne for the first time. It was surprisingly comfortable, though slightly too big for him. His father had been a man of great stature, whereas Zale was almost as frail and fragile as his sisters. He wondered if he would ever fit in his father's place.

"Your Majesty," Salvatore said, kneeling. Lila watched him curiously before doing the same.

Zale clenched his jaw and said, "Please, don't do that. At least, not when we're alone." The two stood again. "That's better. Now, Lila, I want you to stand beside me as my vanguard."

Lila stepped onto the platform without hesitation. Zale pointed to where she was supposed to be and she took her position. She stood tall with one hand on her belt above her sword. The other hand hung free, ready to grab her sword at a moment's notice.

"You don't have to look so scary," Zale said, trying to joke around. He found he was feeling a little too nervous to put on more than a quick smile. When they were ready, Zale said to Salvatore, "Okay. Bring them in."

Salvatore nodded and left to fetch the generals. There was a few minutes of silence. Zale resisted the urge to fidget around in his chair. He wished he had a more commanding presence like his father. Instead, he had to draw on his own strengths. What were his strengths again? Lila was the strong one. He could rely on her for anything. He looked at her. She had her light blue eyes set forward watching the door. When she saw him looking at her, she gave him a broad smile.

"You'll be great," she said.

Then the doors opened and Salvatore announced that the generals of Hyrule had arrived. He tried to name them one by one, but General Davros stopped him.

"What are you doing on the king's throne, boy?" Davros demanded, shaking a fist.

Zale swallowed. He knew this would be hard, but he didn't realize how angry the general of Castle Town would be. Luckily, the other generals didn't seem angry. They looked at each other with expressions of uncertainty.

Deciding patience was his strength, Zale waited for the generals to calm down. He looked at each of them in turn, landing on Davros last. When he was ready, he spoke in a calm, unwavering voice.

"My father, King Gaepora Nohansen Hyrule, has passed from this world," Zale stated. He was glad that emotion didn't take him. "It falls to me as his son and rightful heir to be the new king."

The generals were startled by the news, but they all knelt down and bowed to their new king. Salvatore said, "All hail the king!"

Zale waited a moment. No one spoke. Good. Then he told them all to rise. "Now, we can begin preparations for the funeral. Send out messengers to your areas of the land. Have them announce what I just told you. Have them also announce that the funeral will be in two days' time. All are invited to attend."

"Two days, sire?" Jovom, the Zora general, asked.

"Is that not enough?" Zale asked back.

Jovom shook his head. "No, I suppose two days are fine."