Chapter Eighteen: The Gerudo Leader

After breakfast, Zale took Lila to talk to Nabooru. They met with her in a room outside of the dungeon so they could be alone. She was in chains, but that didn't diminish her dignity. She was an old woman, and she sat up straight in her chair. Chairs were brought in for Zale and Lila to sit in.

"Remove her manacles," Zale instructed.

"But, sir–"

"Do as I say. She will not harm anyone," Zale said. Once the guard had done as he asked, Zale then added, "You may leave us now."

"I must protest–"

Zale looked sharply at the guard. "Don't make me ask again. Lila is here. I'll be fine."

The guard shrank under Zale's gaze and left the room. He locked the door behind him.

Sighing, Zale turned his attention to the prisoner. She was rubbing her wrist and had a thoughtful look on her face.

Zale asked, "You are the leader of the Gerudo?"

Nabooru shook her head. "I was until Ganondra forcibly took control."

"Tell us how that happened," Zale prodded.

Nabooru's red eyes clouded over. "I believe those witches, Kotake and Koume, encouraged her to do it, though I had no warning of the coup. One day, Ganondra entered the throne room brandishing a sacred trident. She gave me the chance to abdicate, and I did. I thought I might be able to influence from the background, but Kotake and Koume had too great a hold on Ganondra. I bit my tongue and managed to stay alive."

"Ganondra used that trident as a symbol of her power," Lila supplied. "It's what I recovered from the bulblin king. Maybe, if negotiations go well, we can give it back to the Gerudo."

A light flashed in Nabooru's eyes and she asked, "What do you plan to do with us?"

"That depends on you," Zale said. "Firstly, now that Ganondra's gone, will you take up leadership again?"

Once more, Nabooru shook her head. "I cannot hold that honor after cowardly leaving the throne. Perhaps my daughter Riju will accept the honor."

"Then you will not speak for your people?" Zale asked.

"No."

"Very well." Zale stood up and knocked on the door. When the guard opened it, he said, "Take Nabooru back to her cell and bring me her daughter Riju."

"Yes, sir," the guard said. He took Nabooru and left Zale and Lila alone.

"What do you think?" Zale asked, startling Lila.

"I don't know," she answered. "Ganondra took over before we were born, so I knew nothing about it."

"My father gave me the histories of the Gerudo, so I knew there had been a peaceful change in leadership. I had no idea it was a coup. Did you notice the way Nabooru reacted when you suggested returning the trident?"

Lila frowned slightly. "No."

Zale looked away from her, thinking. After a moment, he said, "She mentioned that it was sacred. Do you know anything about that?"

"No. I only knew it as one of Ganondra's tools. It never seemed sacred to her." Lila shivered, remembering how the evil woman had used the trident.

Zale noticed and said, "I'm sorry to bring up painful memories."

Lila gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it. She's gone now."

A thought struck Zale at her words. What if there was another? He should have asked Nabooru if Ganondra had a twin. He decided not to mention this thought to Lila just then.