Chapter Twenty-Six: Captive

Rova reappeared in her room where LiLink still guarded Zelda. Zelda shuddered when she saw her own face on the lifeless doll that was ZaZelda.

"What have you done to Zale?" she demanded.

"Nothing," Rova replied, "yet. This is merely yours and his shadows, fused just like LiLink. I call them ZaZelda. What do you think?"

"I think you're a monster," Zelda retorted. "What's your plan? Why are you doing all of this?"

Rova snarled at her. "My plan was to take over the kingdom of Hyrule, but that doesn't seem to be working. I have been planning for too long to see it all end like this. Now, what am I to do...?" The last part she seemed to say to herself.

"There's no shame in surrendering," Zelda suggested dryly.

"I will never surrender!" Rova growled. "Be quiet, girl. Don't make me kill you. I might still need you."

Reluctantly, Zelda stayed silent. She didn't see how arguing would help her situation. She waited for Rova to speak again.

Finally, Rova said, "LiLink, tie her hands behind her back. We're going to get you a sword."

Zelda didn't understand what those things had to do with one another, but there was nothing she could do. She swallowed nervously when LiLink bound her hands. She noticed Rova was packing up her things. Zelda knew the artifacts they had collected were in that bag. Her eyes widened at the thought of the Fierce Deity Mask. What was Rova planning to do with the mask? When worn, it could give the bearer immense power.

"That mask is sacred," Zelda cried. "What do you think you're doing with it?"

"LiLink will wear it, won't you, my pet," Rova said.

"Yes, ma'am," LiLink said sounding hollow.

"No!"

At that moment, someone pounded on the door.

"Open up!" a guard shouted.

"Perfect timing," Rova said, smiling. "Stand back, everyone. I'll handle this." She opened the door and shot out an icy blast from her staff. Zelda heard shouts of surprise get cut off. Rova then stepped out of the room and disappeared from view for a moment. She carried a sword when she came back. She handed the sword to LiLink.

"Come now," she said, raising her staff. "We must leave before they recover." The mist surrounded all four of them, Rova, ZaZelda, LiLink, and Zelda, and transported them just outside of the Desert Mine. The sun was just starting to set and the full moon could be seen at the opposite end of the sky.

"Where are we?" Zelda asked, looking around at the desert surrounding her. There was a boulder the size of a house next to a set of steps leading down to a wooden door.

Rova answered, "This is where I sent Link and Lila. They have the Master Sword. We need the Master Sword. Simple."

A thrill of excitement shot through Zelda at the thought of the two heroes being alive. Thank the Goddesses they weren't transformed into LiLink!

Rova sat on a rock. "May as well get comfortable," she said. "We might be here a while. I sent them deep into the Mine." She made a fire appear to keep them warm in the night air.

Lila and Link broke all of the pots in the room before leaving. They seemed to be in a treasury there were so many pots. They collected several rupees and found some floating hearts that healed their cuts when touched. There was even a treasure chest containing a map of the mine.

"This would have come in handy the last time I was here," Lila remarked as the two of them looked over the map. "It looks like we're in that weirdly shaped room there."