Chapter Fifteen: Twins

"There you are!" Came a voice. Everyone turned to see a woman with blond hair entering the dining hall.

"Lady Fapiath," Zale greeted. "A pleasure to see you."

The woman bowed.

Zale continued, "This is Lila and Link." He pointed to each in turn. "Have you eaten? Please, join us."

Fapiath shook her head. "I have been waiting, sire. Remember? I wished to speak to Lila as soon as she was awake."

Zale bit his lip and then replied, "I'm sorry. A lot has been on my mind."

Fapiath sighed. "I understand." Then she turned to Lila and bowed again. "Lady Lila, might I have a moment of your time?"

"Sure," Lila said. "What's this about?"

"I knew your parents," Fapiath said unceremoniously.

Lila gaped and looked at Zale. Then she looked at Link. "Um... if you knew my parents..."

Fapiath followed Lila's gaze and gasped. "You... you're twins?"

"Well," Lila said, "that's what I was going to ask you."

The woman shook her head. "I'm afraid I don't know."

"Why don't you sit," Zale offered again. "Tell us what you know."

Fapiath took a chair near Link and began her tale. "We're from Ordon Province, a fruitful region protected by the sacred being Ordona. Life there is quiet and peaceful. Your parents owned a small orchard near the north of the province. They were the most kind-hearted people I ever knew. They were always watching over the village, helping those in need, and assisting with defense against monsters. Their death was devastating." She paused and had a faraway look in her eyes.

"What happened to them?" Lil said in a near whisper.

Fapiath continued, "It was the morning of your birth. No one knows exactly what happened, just that your home was seen in flames. Everyone thought the baby had been lost in the fire. Then I saw you on the battlefield and knew who you must be. Now it's my turn to ask: Where have you been all this time?"

Lila found that tears welled in her eyes and wiped them away. "I was raised by the Gerudo."

"I was raised by a woman named Rova," Link said, startling Lila. She and Zale looked at him in surprise. "What? It's clear they could have been my parents, too."

"It's true," Fapiath said. "You both look just like them."

"That means," Lila said slowly, "we must be twins. And if Link and I are twins, then... does that mean...?" She looked at Zale with wide eyes.

"It's possible that Zelda and I are twins," Zale said, his eyes downcast in thought. "And it's possible that Ganondra had a twin."

"I hadn't thought of that," Lila said.

"That means, your father..." Link trailed off, looking at Zale.

"Is Zelda's father," Zale finished. "I need to tell her." He rushed off to the library, leaving the others in stunned silence.

"Um, I should follow him. Thank you," Lila said to Fapiath. She nodded to Link, and the two of them ran after Zale. He was already out of sight, but luckily, Salvatore was back.

"Where's Prince Zale off to in such a hurry?" he asked.

"To find Zelda," Lila said quickly. "Do you know where she is?"

Salvatore looked around and then whispered, "Which Zelda?"

"My Zelda," Link responded.

"We last saw her in the library," Salvatore said.