Chapter 13 - Mouse Trap

I couldn't understand him.
Wesker was simply unreadable.

A book chained shut by his very own insecurities. Unable to open or unlock it and read the contents.

And the fact that he's afraid of hurting Chris?

If that's the case, when Wesker took me from the STARS facility, why didn't he take out Chris then? Does he have conflicting feelings?

These thoughts followed the conversation we had that night, and throughout the time I stayed in that temple. Wesker visited me less often, but when he did, he seemed anxious. Despite his infrequent visits, that Excella woman did not bother me.

What bothered me most was the utter lack of physical and intimate contact with Wesker following this incident. But I knew that it had something to do with Chris.

There were brief periods when Wesker would allow me and Jill to have some time to ourselves, and Jill would occasionally break from the control she was under. I was so curious as to Wesker and Chris's relationship, that one day, as I sat on Jill's bunk with her next to me, a seemingly empty shell, I decided to talk. And just talk.

I spoke my mind, recollected everything that happened. With a small notepad on my lap, I doodled random sketches as I just sort of dumped everything onto her. I knew she could hear me, but I knew she couldn't respond or do much.

As I detailed my relationship with Wesker and all of the... interesting things we've done, Jill seemed to twitch for a moment.

"What?" was the only word that drifted from her mouth.

I was a little shocked, and I jumped and looked right at her, searching her eyes for a sign of life.

"Jill? Is that you or... you know, the 'robot' one?" I asked in a hushed voice.

She looked at me. I mean really looked at me. Full eye contact and full humanity.

"Yes," she quivered, her eyes sparkling with water. I realized she was on the verge of tears, as the joy and sorrow of breaking out of the control she was under was taking an emotional toll.

Searching for words, I stupidly asked, "How do you feel?"

She simply narrowed her eyes and gazed past me, glaring at an invisible figure. "Pissed."

I awkwardly nodded, understanding the anger she must be holding back. Though, I can only wonder how she feels about me, since I've got... a special connection to the person she's clearly pissed off at.

"I don't know how long you'll be able to control yourself right now, so how about we just... chat?" I suggested. It seemed she couldn't actually move her body, but she certainly could speak.

"Fine," Jill grunted. She seemed to be eager to talk, despite her indifference toward me. Likely because she has brief free will.

"You knew Chris, right?" I began. "What was he like?"

Jill's eyes softened, and she thought for a long while. She finally replied with a small smile, "Stupid. A good stupid, though. He was my partner, but hella steadfast and friendly. Yet also unobservant." She chuckled at the last part.

"Now it's my turn: who are you? What are you to Albert Wesker?" Jill launched this question towards me, surprising me.

"Oh--uh--" I didn't exactly know how to answer that. "I'm Y/N, and I used to work for Wesker as a virologist. But... well, things went downhill. As for our relationship... I can't say I know the answer."

Jill searched my face for the answer, but she would not find it. Even I didn't know.

"Well, Chris would say the same thing. He never knew what he and Wesker were," Jill chuckled again. "He's a master manipulator, I'll tell you that much. Just be careful."