𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𐙚˙⋆.˚ ᡣ𐭩

chapter eleven

there is time

𐙚˙⋆.˚ ᡣ𐭩

10 days later

Dhruv's POV

"Don't forget to keep updating us. And please just don't forget anything over there. And keep—"

"Sending pictures on the family group. And eat on time. And don't wander off alone. Especially at night. I know, Mummy," I interrupted, grimacing slightly as I tied my shoelaces. My mother's incessant worrying was both endearing and exhausting, depending on the situation.

I straightened up, picking up my bag, and glanced at my parents. Papa, with his eyes twinkling and a barely contained excitement, looked more thrilled about the trip than I did. It was almost enough to make me want to laugh.

On the other hand, Mummy's expression was a mix of anxiety and sadness, as if I were heading off to war rather than a school trip.

I sighed, a small smile lingering on my lips. "Mummy, it's just a school trip," I reassured her, though I knew it wouldn't ease her worries. No matter how many times I went on trips with my friends, Mummy always fretted as if it were my first time venturing out alone. 

"That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful," she retorted, her voice tinged with concern. She reached out and rubbed my shoulder, pulling me into a tight hug.

I hugged her back, patting her gently. "I will be," I promised, not knowing if I was speaking the truth or not, because frankly, trips weren't made to be careful. The stories worth telling were never born from playing it safe. 

The glint in Papa's eyes mirrored my thoughts perfectly. He smirked and winked at me, a silent understanding passing between us. I chuckled and nodded as I released Mummy from my embrace. "Have fun, bete," Papa said, the smirk still firmly in place. Mummy shot him a glare, but it only made his grin wider.

He extended his hand for a high five, and I slapped my palm against his, feeling a surge of excitement. Despite Mummy's worried looks, I could sense her silent approval, the slight smile tugging at the corners of her mouth betraying her current state. With one last hug from my mother and a final wave to both of them, I stepped out of the house.

"Oye! Dhruv!" Papa's voice called out just as I was about to head down the driveway. I turned around, a puzzled look on my face. He stood in the doorway, the key to my bike dangling from his fingers. With a swift motion, he tossed it to me. "Keep it in the school parking till you return. Don't take a rickshaw," he instructed, waving goodbye before disappearing back into the house.

I caught the key mid-air, the cool metal feeling reassuring in my palm. I glanced back at the house one last time. Mummy stood by the window, watching me with a mixture of glee and worry. I gave her a small wave, which she returned with a hesitant smile. Mounting my bike, I took a deep breath, feeling the thrill of anticipation building up inside me. 

As I rode towards school, the morning sun casting a golden hue over the neighborhood, the wind ruffled my hair, and the rhythmic hum of the bike's engine rang in my ears right through my helmet. 

I loved school trips, especially since such huge groups of people would be going. I would admit that I needed some alone time myself too, but these trips were what gave me all the ecstasy they could. Being able to go without having to beg my parents for it was also privelege only a few of us had, and I remained grateful.