𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

𐙚˙⋆.˚ ᡣ𐭩

chapter twelve

pepper sprays and missed bonfires

𐙚˙⋆.˚ ᡣ𐭩

Anjali's POV

We reached the campsite by afternoon, the dancing bunch coming to a halt along with the bus. The brakes hissed and the door creaked open, releasing a burst of hot air mingled with the scent of pine trees and distant campfires. 

Miss Fareedan blew her whistle, instructing us about something nobody bothered to listen to as everyone rummaged through the overhead compartments, pulling their bags out and heading off the bus.

Tarini stood up from her seat, quick as a rabbit, and got to her compartment, pulling her bag out before the bus got more cramped. She even moved a few steps ahead, leaving no space for me to follow her. "Bahaar mil, gadhedi," she yelled out, winking at me as she scurried ahead.

I groaned frustratedly. I hadn't had that luck.

The bus seemed to shrink the moment I got up from my seat toward the aisle. Students scrabbled about as though they had all the space they wanted in the world. The huge crowd bustled against one another, and I was slightly pushed back.

My body stiffened when I felt something—rather, someone—pressed against my back. I heard the person's breath hitch and glanced slightly behind to see who it was.

Oh god no.

Please, god no.

My eyes wandered down his hands as I saw the familiar bracelet dangling from his wrist. My ears were close to his chest, and I could profoundly hear his heart thumping. I then looked up to the taller figure, his chiseled jaw unable to distract me from the awkward look on his face.

I immediately looked away, squirming where I stood, hoping the crowd would move forward quickly. My brain had started running its own delusions. And they were nothing less than wild.

I felt his breath hitting the nape of my neck, as my head slightly rested on his hardened chest without any space to move. Every inhalation brought me a scent, mingled with a hint of his cologne—woodsy with a touch of citrus—that sent my senses into overdrive. My heart raced, matching the tempo of his above my ear.

Suddenly, the crowd surged forward, creating a ripple effect that pushed us closer together. His hand, which had been braced against the seat in front of us, reached out instinctively to steady me, tightly holding onto my forearm. His touch sent a charged pulse through me, the heat of his hand against mine sparking an unexpected rush of awareness.

I somewhat ceased to regret that I had rolled my sleeves up earlier during the ride as his fingers gripped tightly onto my arm.

Dhruv's voice, barely above a whisper, reached my ears, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, unable to form words as the proximity between us amplified the turmoil in my mind. This closeness was both torturous and exhilarating, a collision of emotions I wasn't prepared to navigate.

We stood there, pressed together in the confined space, the world around us fading into the background. Each passing moment felt drawn out, as if time itself had slowed to a crawl.

His breath was warm against my neck, sending shivers down my spine. I could feel the hard planes of his chest against my back, the rise and fall of his breathing. His hand lingered on my arm, his fingers lightly brushing against my skin, igniting a sense of feelings that I couldn't understand.