Chapter 10: Cyprian

Cyprian hoped that if there was a village, there would be a medical center, too. Raene needed help, and her condition was getting worse. It took them a while to help her stand up, and her wing looked worse than it did before. She needed help, and fast. The thought of losing Raene terrified him, and he would do anything he could to help her.

As they walked towards the village, Cyprian took in every part of the forest life. He hadn't realized that all of this was beyond the border. And the sun. The sun. It doused him in warmth and light, creating a feeling inside of him that he couldn't quite explain. The nature around him was unique, vibrant, breathtaking. He'd never experienced anything like it before. And if there was one thing he knew, it was that he never wanted to go back to Aysgarth again.

Something churned within Cyprian. Something he'd been thinking about since a week ago. Since the day he'd found a hidden letter at the back of a bookshelf in his castle's library.

It had been a yellowing page covered in dust and cobwebs when Cyprian had recovered it. He could tell it'd been there for who knows how many years—an ancient letter unlocking the secrets of the past—and Cyprian couldn't brush the letter away from his mind. He'd also found a map sticking to the back of the letter. A map with a hand-drawn path leading to Frore's Hollow—home to the largest, most destructive ice dragon in all of Alaevia. Cyprian took the letter out of his satchel and read it another time.

My love, once they find out who you are, you will be in grave danger. But with the protection I have sent you, you will be safe. You will not discover the truth until much later, my dear. But when the time comes, take this map I have yielded to you and use it to find the sword I have created with pure light magic itself—the Sword of Luminosity.

Listen closely, my dear. Use the sword to destroy the curse. She has hidden it in something she holds dear. Stab the heart, and all will be returned. But beware, my love. If the sword breaks, it will release a powerful explosion of light. An entire realm could be demolished under its pure power. Yield the sword with care, and you will be safe.

My love, rememb---------

The last word, remember, was unfinished, smeared with an ink trail leading off the page. Something had happened, and the writer hadn't been able to finish. But one way or another, the letter had made its way onto Cyprian's shelf. He had no idea who the writer's "love" was, and the stuff about the curse was nothing but confusing. What did the writer mean by "all will be returned?"

What would be returned?

And as far as Cyprian knew, nothing in Alaevia was cursed. Well, nothing other than all of Aysgarth. But that didn't count. Aysgarth had never been anything but cursed. It couldn't be changed.

Which was why the last part of the letter captivated Cyprian so much. "If the sword breaks, it will release a powerful explosion of light. An entire realm could be demolished under its pure power."

If Cyprian found that sword...if it even existed and this writer wasn't a complete looney, he could use it to demolish an entire realm.

Cyprian could use it to get rid of Aysgarth.

For good.