Early Life

Skadi's life as a warrior was extremely satisfying and rewarding. Growing up in Jotunheim, her life started out very different. She was as close to royalty as you could get in her realm. Skadi lived in the protected cocoon of her family, sheltered from the harsh realities of life in the ice world her people inhabited. Her home was made of rock and ice, but it was beautiful, decorated with carved pillars, precious metals and glowing ice. Her mother and father were Gods. Her mother's ice-cold beauty was unrivalled in all the nine realms. Her father was brave and brutal. But this was not the man Skadi knew. She only saw a rather larger than life, proud, strong and gentle with his only daughter. He often brought home little gifts for his princess after a battle. Sometimes it was a bracelet from a defeated warrior or a pelt of exotic fur. The last time it was a necklace made of human teeth. Skadi thrilled at these gift because she knew they were trophies from battles her father had won. Trophies that proved how superior the Jotuun Frost Giants were.

the Ice Giants would come home from battle, and like the others, Thadzi would be bruised and bloodied and Skadi's mother would gather him into her arms. She would cover his face in kisses, crying with happiness her beloved husband was home again. The children would disappear while mother heated water and helped her husband into the bath. There she would gently clean his hair and body, with fragrant soaps and lavender, thus soothing his mind. It wouldn't be unusual for mother to find bone fragments in Thadzi's hair and grizzled beard, which she would disentangle and then deposit into a bowl beside the bath. The enemies that fell under her fathers battle axe often met such a violent end, bits and pieces of their bones would splinter and ricochet off the iron weapon. There were many, many bits, maybe a hundred. All shapes and sizes. Skadi like to run her fingers thru the white bones, they made a dull tinkling sound that she found pleasant to her ears. They felt light and airy, although some were very sharp and pointy. Some were as big as her forefinger, the smallest the size of a rabbits tooth. She imagined when her father was old and worn and died in some gallant fashion, mother would have one of their craftsmen fashion an item from these bone fragments for father to carry into Valhalla with him. And when he arrived they would know he was Thadzi, the mighty Jotuun warrior, and he would take his place amongst the Gods and mighty warriors who fell before him.

It would usually be the next morning before Thadzi would finally emerge, looking clean, bandaged and relaxed. His wife knew what he needed when he returned, which was to bathe, have his wounds tended to, a large plate of food, a pitcher of ale and then a furious, life-affirming romp in bed with his loving wife, before a long, deep, peaceful sleep. And when Thadzi finally joined his wife and children, the house would be filled with chatter and laughter and love once more.

Everyone had finished their morning meal and had gathered around Thadzi while he told stories of his battle. And as he told these stories, he would reach into the pockets of his robe and something wonderful would emerge that he would give to one of his children. Aeres always got his first. Aeres, the baby in the family, who was only 5 at the time had the most difficult time to wait patiently, so father always made sure he had something for him right away. Aeres sat before his father, eyes as large as saucers, practically bouncing in place. And when Thadzi pulled a small bronze stallion from his pockets, Aeres approach slowly, a little afraid of his larger than life father, to take the toy from his strong hands. For Skadi, he had a small bow and arrow. Mother smiled at Skadi who could scarcely believe her eyes. With eyes shining, she reached out and took the bow from her father who was smiling proudly at her. She reached up on tiptoes, holding on to the arm of Thadzi's chair, to deposit a peck on his cheek. Eventually, the children would scatter, and mother would sit in fathers arms, her head on his chest, just enjoy each others company in front of the roaring fire.

And so life continued day in, day out, mostly peaceful and lovely as far as Skadi was concerned. While her older brothers and father were often training or hunting, Skadi and Aeres tended to lessons in the morning learning to read and write and many important life skills. And since their mother was also skilled in childbirth, Skadi had learned much at a young age. Life was tranquil as far as young Skadi was concerned. But that was before tragedy struck.