Ch : 6

As the class concluded and the participants began to disperse, Priya gathered her belongings with a sense of newfound clarity. She was just about to leave when Ram approached her, a gentle smile on his face.

"I really appreciate your courage. You finally did it," he said, his voice warm with genuine admiration.

Priya glanced up at him, a faint blush coloring her cheeks. "I should be thanking you," she replied, her tone sincere. "Wait a second."

She reached into her bag and pulled out the coat Ram had given her on that fateful night. Holding it out to him, she said, "I think this belongs to you."

Ram's eyebrows lifted in surprise. "You kept it with you? I thought..."

Priya smiled and nodded, her eyes reflecting a mixture of gratitude and something unspoken. After a brief moment of silence, she continued, "I didn't have a chance to thank you properly. You saved my life that day."

Ram looked at her, his expression thoughtful. "I can only accept this if you do something for me."

Priya's curiosity was piqued. "Anything you say."

"Let's have dinner together. It's Christmas, after all," Ram suggested, a hopeful note in his voice.

Priya didn't think too much, her heart responding before her mind could catch up. "Yes," she said immediately, a small smile playing on her lips. Maybe, in her subconscious mind, she too wanted to spend more time with Ram.

Ram's face lit up with a smile that mirrored her own. "Great.

As they walked out of the wellness center together, a silent understanding passed between them. Their paths had crossed in the midst of darkness, but now, under the gentle glow of Christmas lights, they were beginning to find a new light in each other.

That evening, as the city twinkled with festive cheer,

They both took a cab and soon reached a nearby restaurant. It was cozy and small, yet bustling with life due to the festive season. The air was filled with laughter, chatter, and the aroma of holiday dishes. Everyone around them looked so colorful and joyful, their faces glowing with happiness.

Ram and Priya found a comfortable corner and settled into their seats. Priya looked around, taking in the vibrant atmosphere, then turned to Ram with a smile. "This dinner is on me."

Ram chuckled. "Oh, that's cool. I love to have treats."

After ordering their food, they waited, a comfortable silence settling between them. Priya, feeling a mix of curiosity and concern, finally spoke. "Can I ask you something?"

Ram nodded. "Yeah, sure."

"That night, what were you doing at the beach at such late hours?" Priya's voice was gentle but probing.

Ram's expression grew distant, and he paused, the weight of her question hanging in the air. For a moment, Priya feared she had overstepped, but then Ram took a deep breath and began to speak.

"I was about to take my life," he confessed, his voice low and steady. "In an accident, I lost my wife and my only daughter two years back in Canada. After that, I left everything there and came back to India, hoping a change of place might help. But I couldn't sleep. The day it happened still haunts me. Every time I close my eyes, I see my dead wife's face and my daughter's too. It's horrifying."

Priya's eyes softened with empathy. "I'm so sorry to hear that, Ram. I mean, this is truly heartbreaking. But that doesn't mean you should blame yourself. It was an accident, after all. Why would you take your own life? That's a sin."