Ch : 13

As Priya stepped into the house the following morning, she found Mrs. Khanna seated at the breakfast table, a newspaper spread before her. The sun's early rays filtered through the windows, casting a warm glow on the room. Mrs. Khanna glanced up, a furrow of concern creasing her forehead.

"Where is Ved?" Mrs. Khanna asked, her voice laced with curiosity.

Priya's heart skipped a beat. "He didn't come back?" she replied, trying to mask her surprise.

Mrs. Khanna shook her head, her expression growing more anxious. "No, and why do you look so surprised? Weren't you with him?"

Priya hesitated, the events of the previous night flashing through her mind. "No, I left the party early," she began, her voice faltering.

Just then, the shrill ring of the landline cut through the tension. Mrs. Khanna reached for the receiver, her hand trembling slightly. Priya watched as she answered the call, her face transforming from curiosity to shock. Mrs. Khanna's eyes widened, her complexion paling as she clutched the phone.

"What are you talking about? No, this can't be true!" Mrs. Khanna's voice was a mixture of disbelief and panic. The receiver slipped from her grip, falling to the floor with a dull thud.

Priya rushed forward, her heart pounding. She picked up the phone, her hands shaking as she brought it to her ear. The voice on the other end was calm but urgent. "Mrs. Khanna, I'm sorry to inform you, but Ved met with an accident at dawn. He's in critical condition."

The words echoed in Priya's mind, her world tilting on its axis. She glanced at Mrs. Khanna, who seemed on the verge of collapse. Priya moved quickly, catching her mother-in-law before she could fall, guiding her to a chair.

"No, no, this can't be happening," Mrs. Khanna whispered, tears streaming down her face. Priya held her close, her own emotions a tumultuous storm, but she forced herself to stay composed.

"We need to go to the hospital," Priya said, her voice steadier than she felt. "We need to be with Ved."

Mrs. Khanna nodded weakly, her shock turning into a quiet, trembling determination. Priya helped her gather her things, her mind racing. The night before seemed like a distant memory now, replaced by the urgent need to face the crisis ahead.

As they left the house, the morning sun seemed harsher, its brightness a stark contrast to the darkness that had suddenly enveloped their lives. Priya held onto Mrs. Khanna, offering silent support as they made their way to the hospital, each step heavy with the weight of uncertainty and fear.

As Priya and Mrs. Khanna hurried into the hospital, the sterile smell of antiseptic filled their noses, heightening the sense of urgency and fear. They quickly found Ved's room, the door slightly ajar. Inside, the rhythmic beeping of machines was the only sound, punctuated by the occasional soft murmur of nurses.

Mrs. Khanna pushed the door open, her breath catching in her throat as she saw her son. Ved lay motionless on the hospital bed, his face bruised and swollen, a stark contrast to the lively man they both knew. Tubes and wires snaked from his body to the machines that kept him stable, the rise and fall of his chest barely perceptible.

The sight was too much for Mrs. Khanna. She staggered, a sob escaping her lips as she clutched the edge of the bed for support. Tears streamed down her face, her body shaking with the force of her grief. "Ved... my son... what have they done to you?" Her voice was a heart-wrenching whisper, filled with the unbearable pain of a mother seeing her child in such a state.

Priya stood frozen for a moment, the scene before her almost surreal. Her heart ached as she took in Ved's battered appearance, the man she had spent years with now so vulnerable and helpless. She swallowed hard, forcing back the lump in her throat as she stepped forward.

She gently placed a hand on Mrs. Khanna's shoulder, offering silent comfort before turning her attention to Ved. With trembling fingers, she reached out and lightly touched his hand, which lay limp and unresponsive. Tears welled in her eyes, blurring her vision as she looked at his bruised face, each mark a testament to the violent impact of the accident.

"Ved, it's me, Priya," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "We're here for you. Please, you have to fight. You have to come back to us."

The unconscious Ved looked so small, so helpless, a far cry from the confident man she had known. The reality of the situation hit her with full force, and she felt her own tears begin to fall. She leaned over him, her tears dripping onto the white hospital sheets, her heart breaking at the sight of him so vulnerable.

Mrs. Khanna sank into the chair beside the bed, her hand never leaving Ved's. "My boy," she murmured through her tears, "we're here, we're not going anywhere."

Priya nodded, her resolve hardening. Despite everything, they had to stay strong for Ved, for the family that still needed them.

Priya's phone suddenly rang, breaking the heavy silence of the hospital room. She saw Ram's name flashing on the screen and felt a surge of unease. She quickly made her way outside, seeking a quiet corner where she could speak without being overheard.

She answered the call, her voice shaky. "Hello, Ram."

"Priya," Ram's voice was filled with concern. "I heard about Ved on the media. Are you okay? Do I need to come there? I'm coming."

Priya took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "Ram, no. Please, drop the idea. It will only create complications."

"But Priya," Ram insisted, his voice tense, "you shouldn't be alone in this. I can be there for you, support you."

"I appreciate that, Ram, I really do," Priya replied, her voice softening. "But right now, it's too complicated. Ved's family is here, and they need me. It's better if you stay away for now."

There was a pause on the line, filled with the unspoken words and emotions between them. Finally, Ram sighed. "Alright. But promise me you'll call me if you need anything. Anything at all."

"I will," Priya said, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I promise. I'll contact you when I get time."

"Take care, Priya," Ram said gently. "I'm here for you, whenever you need me."

"Goodbye, Ram," Priya whispered before ending the call. She stood there for a moment, gathering her strength, before heading back into the hospital room to be with Ved and Mrs. Khanna.

The days turned into weeks, and Ved's condition gradually improved under Priya's devoted care. She spent every waking moment by his side, tending to his needs, administering his medication, and offering words of comfort. Her dedication did not go unnoticed; Ved's recovery was steady, and soon, he was able to stand and walk slowly with her assistance. Priya's tireless efforts had borne fruit, and she found solace in seeing Ved regain his strength.

Throughout this period, Ram and Priya had little opportunity to communicate. Their brief conversations were filled with worry and longing, but their shared moments were scarce. The distance and silence between them weighed heavily on both, leading to a growing sense of frustration and sadness.

A month passed, and the day of Varsha's arrival loomed large. The household buzzed with preparations for her 15th birthday celebration. Mrs. Khanna oversaw every detail with a mix of excitement and anxiety, ensuring that everything would be perfect for her granddaughter.

Priya, despite her exhaustion, threw herself into the preparations. She wanted to create a joyful and welcoming environment for Varsha, hoping the celebration would bring some light into their lives. But beneath her composed exterior, she felt a gnawing emptiness. The emotional distance from Ram and the relentless care routine had taken a toll on her spirit.

Ram, on the other hand, felt the strain of the prolonged separation. He missed Priya's presence, their conversations, and the connection they had begun to forge. The inability to be with her, to support her, or even to simply talk, left him feeling helpless and irritable. He found himself distracted at work, his thoughts constantly drifting back to her.