Prologue: When the World Falls Down

Two years earlier

Maisie and Matthew returned from Greenville's Cleveland Park, smiling and holding hands like a married couple. They shuffled into Maisie's book-filled, horse-themed room and started packing the last of her Romantasy and Tessa Bailey collection into a box labeled For College.

"This is so exciting, Matthew!" Maisie told her older brother, flipping over the flaps of the smooth cardboard box. "You and I will be roomies at the College of Charleston! What should we do when we get there tomorrow?" Her tabby, Milo, purred into her pant leg and sniffed the box. It appeared like he was both curious and anxious.

Matthew ran his tanned fingertips through his messy, black hair. "Why don't we decide that on the road? Right now, let's get you packed." He dug his iPhone out from his shorts pocket and connected it to Maisie's Bluetooth speaker sitting on her desk, where she stacked another collection of books. He and she moved their heads and bodies to the beat of rock music while they finished packing. At one point, they bumped backs.

Milo trotted back and forth between Maisie and Matthew's legs, meowing like a cat who caught a mouse. It was always fun when he joined them because Maisie's affection for him only grew.

She and Matthew pushed down on Maisie's suitcase, which consisted of mere books, but the darned thing would not close. Instead, it tossed both of them away.

Maisie and Matthew laughed and stood from where they landed.

Matt brushed himself down. "You should consider writing a book one day, May," he stated, returning to her suitcase.

"Ha, ha. Funny, Matthew." Maisie's attention moved to Milo, who showed off his tummy. "See? Even Milo thinks that's ridiculous."

"It was just a thought since you like to read," Matthew giggled, snapping her suitcase shut. "My little sister, the top author of the 21st Century!"

"Shut up." Maisie playfully tickled him. "College first, and we'll go from there." She hugged him, and Matthew returned it.

That night, Maisie snuggled with Milo in her queen-sized bed on her soft mattress and felt the ceiling fan's cool air on her cheeks. A few of Milo's furs stuck up. She stroked him and whispered, "Tomorrow is a new journey for us, Milo." From there, she slipped into her much-needed rest.

Maisie woke at 9:00 the following morning. It was strange because Matthew was supposed to wake her at 8:00. He probably spent all night playing Call of Duty, and now Maisie had to play Mother. She changed clothes and fixed Milo's breakfast before opening her door. Maisie crossed the small hallway to Matthew's room and knocked on his slightly-open door. "Come on, bro! You were supposed to wake me at 8:00!"

No answer.

"Hello, Matthew!" Maisie clutched her hips. "Today's the big day! We're college-bound!"

No answer.

"Matthew?" Something flipped in Maisie's tummy. Bile worked its way up her throat. She opened the door... and screamed.

Matthew rested on the floor beside his bed, not moving. His dark eyes were wide open, his skin pale and clammy.

"Matthew!" A giant's foot kicked Maisie's heart. It hurt so much that she dropped to her knees and crawled to her brother, holding him in both arms. "Matthew! Matthew!" Warm tears dripped onto his face. Maisie slapped it repeatedly, but her brother did not stir. "Mommy! Daddy!" she finally cried. She felt like a little kid trapped in an everlasting thunderstorm. "Mommy! Daddy!" Maisie embraced her brother and stayed with him until her parents arrived.

Milo watched the whole thing from Maisie's bedroom. His dark eyes widened, and he lowered his head. Milo backed up and crawled under Maisie's light purple leather chair beside her window and bookshelf. He did not come out for the rest of the day.