Chapter The Great Locomotive Chase: Be a Friend

"Maisie, you're Female 2 today." Han handed Maisie a Female 2 phone Monday morning.

"Wait, what?" Maisie checked the back of the phone. "Female 2 wasn't in the training book!" She had a wonderful weekend with Milo and Luna, and now Sports hit her with something new. The last time she tried something new, she broke Milo's heart. Not to mention, Maisie was stressed over Feya going to work in a wheelchair. Was it too early for her to work?

Han gestured at Natacha. "We usually don't train people in it and the Homerun Pool, but don't worry. Natacha will walk you through it." He clapped his hands. "All right, team! Remember, the Wave is at 8:30. We'll see you there."

Another Wave, huh? Maisie wondered what the playlist would be today.

Natacha approached her after the meeting and asked, "You ready?"

Maisie sighed, lowering her head. "I guess." Yet, her mind returned to Feya.

Natacha noticed her distress but kept her positive attitude and walked Maisie through Female 2's tasks. "As Female 2, you clean breakroom and outside breakroom, back office, Cast bathroom, and Surf's Up bathroom."

Oh gosh. Did Maisie seriously have to clean not one but two bathrooms? However, she found something strangely satisfying about cleaning bathrooms.

Natacha clutched Maisie's shoulder. "Not as bad as you think, dear."

"I hope not." But Maisie wasn't sure.

***

"Oh, hey! It's the girl from before!"

Maisie recognized the woman as the one she and Natacha met during training. It was hard to miss her plump body and dyed hair. "You're still here?" Oh gosh, that wasn't polite. Maisie blushed and quickly opened the cabinet under the laundry room counter. "I mean—!"

"It's okay, dear," the woman interrupted, showing off her sparkly, white teeth. "My hubby and I are Annual Passholders, so we stay a few weeks at Disney World twice a year. Sports is our preferred resort."

"Oh." Maisie dragged the PathoClean and PathoCide out of the cabinet. "That doesn't change the fact I was rude to you."

The woman folded her clothes. "You're under a lot of stress. I can see it. How's training?"

"This is my first day on my own."

"Oh, terrific!" The woman jiggled her feet. "How's it going? Sorry, dear—you remind me of my daughter. She did the CP when she was your age."

"Really? I didn't know." Maisie had to back off. She was getting distracted. "Where is she now?"

The woman paused. "She died in a freak accident five years ago."

"Oh... gosh. I'm so sorry."

"She loved Disney, so my hubby and I come here to keep her memory alive," the woman explained, setting her clothes in one of the laundry room's baskets. "That's the only thing you can do, dear."

"I know." Maisie exhaled. "May I ask what her name was?" She and the woman headed for the laundry room's exit, and the woman opened the door.

"Melody," she answered. "Her name was Melody. She loved to sing and wanted to be a Disney Princess."

Melody. That was the perfect name for a singer. While it was rude to ask people how someone died, Maisie was tempted. "My brother passed away two years ago," she said instead.

The woman nodded. "I had a feeling you lost someone, too. I'm sorry, dear."

"It's fine." Maisie held back her tears. "Like you said, we must find ways to keep their memory alive." She smiled feebly. "You've inspired me, so thank you."

"You're welcome." The woman and Maisie embraced. Once they let go, the woman smirked and said, "Ah. I know that look. Are you in love, young lady?"

"Stop it." Maisie lightly pushed her.

"I think you are." The woman and Maisie stepped outside to Surf's Up, and Maisie came within reach of her trash barrel. "Who is she?"

"The most beautiful girl I've ever met." Maisie clutched her chest. "And the reason I'm here today."

The woman winked. "You and she will go far in the College Program, just like Melody. That I know for sure."

"Thank you again," Maisie said.

"You're welcome," the woman returned.

That night, Maisie sat in her room, staring at her computer screen, while Milo and Luna batted Milo's mouse around. In just two days, they treated each other like brother and sister.

Matthew's words entered Maisie's mind: "You should consider writing a book one day, May," and the woman's: "You and she will go far in the College Program, just like Melody."

Milo and Luna quit playing when Isla and Feya entered the room, Isla rolling Feya.

"What's wrong, May?" Isla helped Feya out of the wheelchair and sat her on Maisie's bed. Before long, Luna and Milo joined her.

Maisie flicked a tear away. "I talked with a woman today at work. She said she lost her daughter five years ago and that she was a CP, too. And it... Well, it inspired me."

Intrigued, Isla and Feya moved closer. "Yes?"

Maisie faced Feya. The familiar Cupid butterfly swirled like a beater in her tummy, turning her insides to mush. "Feya, Summit 2023 is next month, right?"

"Yeah." Feya shot her a knowing look.

"And, Isla..." Maisie glanced at her next. "You can't come because you need to look after Milo, Luna, and Carrot, correct?"

"Yes." Isla shared the same look as Feya.

"My brother told me something the night he died, the woman today," Maisie elucidated, feeling more confident. "And I want to try it. Remember what you said, Fey." Her attention returned to Isla. "Isla, there's a reason you have an Emotional Support Animal. I think I can share all three of our stories with the world. I guess what I'm saying is... Wou-Would you tell Feya and me why you have Carrot?"

"Um..." Disturbed, Isla approached Maisie's window and peered outside at the sunset, hugging Carrot close.

"Please, Isla," Maisie begged. "Let me help you and Feya. I will omit your name. However, I need to know your story."

"I understand." Isla turned back around and set Carrot on her shoulder. "Sometimes, the best way to make a friend is to be a friend. I learned that from a childhood movie." With that, she re-joined Feya, Maisie, and the animals. "Very well, Maisie." Isla hopped onto her bed. "It's a long story, but in a nutshell, my first CP experience sucked. My family and co-workers shunned me. They treated me like crap, and I won't ever forget it. I started at Coronado Springs but hated it."

"Why did they shun you?" Feya questioned, petting Daisy, who curled onto her lap.

Isla paused. "They shunned me because I'm like y'all—queer."

"Oh my God, perfect!" Something clicked in Maisie's mind, and she hugged Isla. "Thank you, Isla." She would do it. Maisie would grant Matthew and the woman's wishes and help her girlfriends. All she needed now was Out and Equal: Summit 2023. Afterward, she'd be ready for her next step, something she should've tried long ago.

Maisie Claire Foster was going to write a book.