The Haskett ball

The Haskett ball. 

The first ever Haskett ball.

 I know from my mama that they are a wonderful family who sadly was never blessed with children. So now at barely 40 they have decided to spend their money by throwing balls. So, they say, this shall become annual. But one never knows with the families of the ton. 

I was now getting ready for the ball but I could not seem to decide between two dresses so I called for the best fashion advice I knew. Daphne. 

"Daphne! Could you come to my room please?" I asked and heard footsteps seconds later Daphne walked into my room. 

"Yes sister?" She asked and I nodded to the two dresses laid down in my bed. 

One was a pink dress with little details of flowers and some glitter, the other was a teal color with some little details of gold that were not too overbearing. 

"The teal one, it goes with your skin perfectly. With the pink one you might look pale" She said and I hugged her. 

"I love you, did you know that?" I said and hugged her as she laughed. 

"I assumed" She said and walked out of the room. 

I got dressed and sat on my bed for the few free minutes I had. 

Just as I picked up the book I was writing on to finish the notes on the margins, Francesca came in and I smiled at her. 

"Yes?" I asked and she sighed and laid down next to me. 

"I just want a little silence" She said and I nodded and turned back to my book. 

I think that's why me and Francesca get along so well. 

We both understand that even though we love our family, very much, sometimes, a lot of times, we need silence. Pure silence.

I scribbled down on the margins of the book I was planning to give Sebastian later and when I reached the end I shut it loudly startling Francesca, but she didn't say a word. She is not a lady of many words. 

"I should actually finish getting ready now" I said quietly and walked over to my vanity so I could put on some jewelry while Francesca sat quietly on my bed. I love Francesca. 

I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled, I'm ready. 

"You look marvelous. I wish to be half as pretty as you when I make my debut" She said and I frowned at her. 

I know I am pretty, but one thing I do not want is for my sisters to compare themselves to me. We are our own people. 

"You are even prettier than me Francesca. You can admire a woman's beauty without bringing down your own. You will make a dazzling debutante and I will be here to accompany you in every step" I said as I laid down next to her and hugged her closely to me.