Chapter 10 (Solstice):

Solstice walked down one of the many hallways of Jade Mountain Academy, trying to find her next class.

I think I'm lost. This stupid school doesn't even have a map. I wonder why Father consented to sending me here. I'm in the First Circle on the dragonet wall, this place is for Sixth Circle!

Solstice noticed a SkyWing standing at one of the doors.

"Do you know where Gill's history class is?" she asked the SkyWing.

"Two doors down the hall. You'll know it when you see it." the SkyWing responded gruffly.

Solstice rolled her eyes. That wasn't much help. Stupid SkyWings can't even tell direction.

Solstice walked further down the hallway, and to her surprise, the classroom was right where the SkyWing told her it would be.

Hmm, maybe that SkyWing wasn't so stupid after all. Nonetheless, those directions were too vague.

Solstice opened the door, to find no one but Gill in the classroom.

"Oh, Solstice." Gill smiled. "You're a bit early."

Solstice nodded.

"How's Jade Mountain Academy so far?" Gill asked her.

"I've had a bit of trouble with my winglet." Solstice responded. "The NightWing in my group, Firesight, hates me."

"Oh, that's not good." Gill sighed. "Do you need to be moved?"

"I don't think it would help." Solstice replied, frustrated. "I'm pretty sure all the NightWings in this school hate me."

Gill looked at Solstice. "Starflight and Fatespeaker don't."

"But they're the teachers, they kind of aren't allowed to hate the students." Solstice frowned.

"That's kind of true, but how exactly do you know that all of the NightWing students hate you? Do you have any evidence?" Gill asked.

"They all glare at me, all the time." Solstice answered. "I don't know if it's just because I'm an IceWing, or because I'm a high-ranked IceWing, but they all just seem to dislike me."

"I don't think Amaris dislikes you." Gill told her. "Or most of the others. Maybe it's just Firesight, and you're overthinking."

"I'm not!" Solstice snapped. She sighed quietly. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, I understand." Gill responded calmly. "Queen Coral hated me for a while, so I know what that feels like. But overtime, dragons learn to let things go. It will take time, but Firesight will realize the error in his thinking. I know he will."

Solstice nodded gratefully. She took a seat at one of the spots, as the rest of the students filed in.

To her surprise, Firesight never came in.

I wonder what happened to him.

"Alright, class, let's settle down." Gill called out. "Although we have a small amount of dragons here, since it's just your Winglet, it doesn't mean we can be loud."

The students nodded.

"Today, we're going to learn about the story of Prince Arctic." Gill explained.

Solstice felt eyes staring at her.

Just because I'm an IceWing? Seriously?

"Prince Arctic was an IceWing prince, and the son of Queen Diamond." Gill began. "He was an animus, like his mother. As some of you may know, when an IceWing is an animus, they are only allowed to create one gift for their tribe."

"Why is it only one?" Abyss asked. He was the SeaWing of their Winglet.

"Each time an animus dragon uses their ability, they lose part of their soul." Gill stated. "The IceWings had the smart idea to limit the animus' ability, so they would still have a perfectly healthy soul."

"That's a stupid idea..." Firesight commented, as he entered the classroom.

"Firesight, you're late." Gill told him.

Firesight rolled his eyes. "This class isn't even important. I literally know all of Pyrrhia's history."

"Well then, how many years has it been since Darkstalker was born?" Gill questioned.

Firesight paused for a moment. "156?"

Gill chuckled. "You're off by a lot. Nice try, now take a seat before you receive punishment."

Firesight grumbled as he took a seat in the back, far away from Solstice.

He deserved that. At least I know that Gill is on my side now.

"Anyways, back to the lesson." Gill sighed. "Prince Arctic never made a gift. He fell in love with a NightWing, who was there as a guest with a few others. Does anyone know this NightWing's name?"

Solstice slowly raised her talons.

"Solstice?" Gill asked.

"Foeslayer." she answered.

"Nice job. Foeslayer fell in love with Prince Arctic as well, and they tried to run away together. Two IceWings set out to stop them. Their names were Snowfox and Snowflake. Prince Arctic ended up accidentally killing some of the guards helping Snowfox, and he injured Snowflake badly."

Gill paused for a moment.

"Then they had Darkstalker, and he took over everything, blah blah blah." Firesight grumbled.

"That's it! Firesight, detention, now!" Gill yelled. "Class, I'll be right back. Firesight, you will be serving detention with Tsunami."

Solstice saw a look of fear flash over Firesight's eyes.

Maybe he'll finally learn. Or not, and he'll get expelled.

...

I hope he gets expelled.