Chapter 35: Paying the Debt

The forest was still and quiet as Jareth and Alexia made their way to the murky lake where they had first encountered Jörmungandr. They had felt the shift in the balance of power, and they knew they owed the giant serpent a debt for his help in defeating Apep and Apophis.

As they approached the lake, a loud roar echoed through the trees. They hurried forward, arriving just in time to see Jörmungandr engaged in a fierce battle with a formidable foe. The new ally of the Malevolent Marauder of the Endless Void was a towering, armored warrior wielding a massive battle axe, dark energy radiating from him.

Jareth and Alexia didn't hesitate. They drew their weapons and charged into the fray, attacking the dark warrior from both sides. Jörmungandr, recognizing his unlikely allies, fought with renewed vigor.

The battle was intense. The dark warrior swung his axe with devastating force, but Jareth's agility and Alexia's speed kept him off balance. Jörmungandr's coils lashed out, constricting and crushing, while Jareth and Alexia struck with precision and fury.

Finally, with a coordinated effort, they managed to disarm the dark warrior. Jörmungandr's powerful jaws clamped down on the foe, and with a final, mighty squeeze, the new ally of the Malevolent Marauder was defeated. The warrior's body crumpled to the ground, his dark energy dissipating into the air.

Breathing heavily, Jareth and Alexia turned to Jörmungandr. "We owed you a debt," Jareth said, his voice firm. "And now it is paid."

Jörmungandr's eyes gleamed with satisfaction. "Indeed it is. You have proven yourselves honorable."

Their moment of victory was interrupted by a sinister laugh. The Malevolent Marauder of the Endless Void appeared before them, his dark form imposing and menacing. He waved his hand, and the witch formerly known as Nyxara, now stripped of her evil and bound by the Marauder's magic, was thrown to the ground at their feet.

"I see you have been busy," the Malevolent Marauder sneered. "But know this, your efforts are futile. I will return, and next time, you will not be so fortunate."

He vanished in a swirl of dark energy, leaving Jareth, Alexia, and Jörmungandr with the unconscious witch.

Jareth knelt beside Nyxara, checking her for injuries. "What should we do with her?"

Alexia looked at the once-evil witch with a mix of pity and resolve. "We take her with us. If she truly is no longer evil, she might have valuable information about the Malevolent Marauder and his plans."

Jörmungandr nodded. "Take her. And remember, you have a powerful ally in me. Should you need my help again, I will be here."

With that, the giant serpent slithered back into the lake, his massive form disappearing beneath the murky waters once more. Jareth and Alexia lifted Nyxara between them and began their journey back to their companions, knowing that the final battle was drawing ever closer.

As they walked, Jareth looked at Alexia. "We will need all the help we can get. The Malevolent Marauder is not finished with us yet."

Alexia nodded, her eyes steely with determination. "Then we will be ready. Together, we will face whatever comes our way."

In the dark realm, the Malevolent Marauder of the Endless Void seethed with rage. His plans had been thwarted once again, but he knew the final confrontation was inevitable. He would gather his remaining strength and allies, and when the time came, he would crush Eldrin and his companions once and for all.

For now, he would wait and watch, his malevolent gaze fixed on the world he sought to conquer. The battle between light and darkness was far from over, and the stakes had never been higher.