Chapter 76: The Fire Dragon's Name

The battlefield was a maelstrom of chaos and light as the Malevolent Marauder of the Endless Void withdrew slightly, momentarily repelled by Selene's divine power and the fierce arrival of the fire dragon. The air was thick with the remnants of shattered spells and the cries of the wounded. Selene stood in the center, her breath heavy but her resolve unwavering.

The fire dragon landed beside her, its scales glowing with an inner fire. Its eyes, like molten gold, regarded her with a mix of respect and concern.

"Are you unharmed, goddess?" the dragon asked, its voice a deep rumble that resonated through the air.

Selene nodded, though she was clearly exhausted. "I am, thanks to you. What is your name, noble dragon?"

The dragon inclined its massive head. "I am Pyrrhus, Guardian of the Flames. It is an honor to fight alongside you."

Before Selene could respond, a dark shadow loomed over them. The Malevolent Marauder of the Endless Void, his rage palpable, descended upon Pyrrhus with a ferocity unmatched. Dark magic crackled around him as he launched a barrage of attacks.

Pyrrhus reared back, unleashing a torrent of flame that met the Malevolent Marauder's dark energy head-on. The clash of fire and darkness created a shockwave that rippled through the battlefield, sending both allies and enemies staggering.

"Your fire cannot save you, dragon," the Malevolent Marauder hissed, his voice dripping with malevolence.

Pyrrhus roared in defiance, his flames burning hotter and brighter. "We shall see, dark one."

The battle between Pyrrhus and the Malevolent Marauder raged fiercely, each attack met with a counterattack of equal force. Pyrrhus's flames seared the ground, creating a ring of fire that isolated the two combatants. But the Malevolent Marauder was relentless, his dark magic swirling around him like a storm.

With a surge of power, the Malevolent Marauder struck Pyrrhus with a concentrated blast of dark energy. The force of the blow sent the dragon crashing to the ground, his flames flickering weakly.

Selene watched in horror as Pyrrhus struggled to rise. The Malevolent Marauder loomed over the fallen dragon, his victory seemingly assured.

"You fought well, dragon," the Malevolent Marauder sneered, raising his hand for a final blow. "But your flames will be extinguished."

Just as he was about to strike, Pyrrhus let out a defiant roar and, with the last of his strength, released a burst of fire that engulfed the Malevolent Marauder. The dark figure staggered back, momentarily blinded by the intense light and heat.

Selene seized the opportunity, summoning her divine power to shield Pyrrhus from further harm. "Stand back, Pyrrhus. I will not let him take you."

The Malevolent Marauder regained his composure, his dark eyes narrowing at the goddess and the dragon. "This is far from over," he spat, retreating into the shadows, his dark Golem army rallying behind him.

Pyrrhus, though weakened, managed to stand, his eyes filled with gratitude and determination. "Thank you, Selene. I will recover and fight again."

Selene placed a reassuring hand on Pyrrhus's massive snout. "Rest now, Guardian of the Flames. We will need your strength in the battles to come."

As the light elf kingdom regrouped and tended to their wounded, the presence of Pyrrhus, despite his temporary defeat, brought a renewed sense of hope and resilience. The Malevolent Marauder of the Endless Void might have won this skirmish, but the spirit of unity and the unyielding courage of their allies would be their guiding light in the darkness that threatened to consume them all.