iii

tw: there are mentions of child abuse in this chapter, it is not graphic but if this triggers you then tread ahead lightly. Your comfort is the utmost priority here.

•|golden cage|•

Kedar

I was only eight when Dada first called me into his study. I can't remember the reason that warranted the call, probably because I cried and screamed asking for my dead parents. That was the first time he ever raised the cane on my body. Even if I can't remember the reason I can definitely remember how the thin stick stung my body.

I had cried out loud, something I very quickly learned that displeased Dada, and the cane rained down on my body. When everything was over I looked upto his face and I will never ever forget what saw there.

For days after that I couldn't sleep without him in my nightmares, calling out for anybody who could help but never hearing the response. Slowly everything went back to normal. It was painful, standing in a room full of adults who never gave half a mind to a child who was streaked in his own blood. Like now, dressing me up for my own wedding like a doll when I have no interest in participating in this wedding.

Samaira was the only one who wasn't much excited for the wedding and she showed it in many occasions but now she stood silent as a spectator to this garish arrangement. Maasi and Mahira took charge of making me presentable, strongly opposing when I said I could do that myself. After doing a botched job, they both left, clucking about guests and arrangements.

Samaira stood stock still behind me, her right hand in the air as if she wanted to hold me but didn't know how to and that was possibly true because all those years apart made her a person I could never recognise.

My eyes left her form to examine mine in the mirror. The expensive kurta looked thoroughly mismatched with me. It was like making a dog wear human clothes. The ornaments they made me wear weighed heavily on my body and restrained me. Everything looked elegant and royal just like Dada had wanted.

“You look beautif–”

“Samaira, you and I both know that's not true.”

She looked like she swallowed lemon at my comment.

“You are beautiful maybe not in this costume.” Her confidence trailed off into nothing when I started at her intently.

“I need a help from you. You owe me one for sneaking you in that night.”

“Kedar, you promised you won't talk about that night. But I owe you so, spit it out.”

I let out a sigh, “You know Dada cut off me from my pocket money now that I will be literally covered in gold. I promised Tanya I will buy her a guitar. So can you buy one for her. I will pay you the moment I can.” When she looked suspicious I added a, “Please.”

Exasperated she punches me on my arm. “I'll do it but just this one time. Alright?”

I nodded eagerly, probably looking like a puppy she always compare me with. Careful not to mess up anything she bend down and kissed me on the crown. “If anyone gets to know about this, I'll kill you in your sleep.” That is practically her way of saying she cares about me and I will take anything I can get.

A cough interrupted the moment. “Bhai behen dono bohot khush lag rahe ho. Is buddhe Dada ko bhi milaoge?” [Brother and sister looks so happy. Will you make this old Grandfather a part of that?] A thick silence followed the statement. Awkwardness hung in the air and neither of us did anything to dispel it.

Beta Samaira, Shravani aapko bula rahi hai.” [Shravani is calling for you Samaira.] Even if it was said to Samaira, I could understand that it was just to get me alone and advice me not to mess up when I go to my in laws.