v

•|a fly on the wall|•

Kedar

I was invisible and an insignificance. It wasn't in any way a lie. People overlooked me in favor of my cousins and other relatives. It never hurt me. It just provided me with additional armor. A layer of protection over my vulnerable surface. No one had ever peeked under it, or poked it.

I continued that tradition, here in my in-laws too. They, much like mine, have a big and vast family and members, especially new ones like me, will be overlooked in favor of residents.

Under Dada’s strict instructions I was not to go to college until a week after my marriage.

My first few days in this big mansion was watching the clock tick by or spend time roaming in the room that was given to me. Agastya rarely ever came across me. He sometimes went out of his way to avoid me. I don't fault him for that. If I could, I would  avoid myself too.

Whenever I crossed paths with anyone living here, they smiled at me politely and stopped to make small talk with me. It was tiresome, so I decided to stay inside the room and read books or watch the fly on the wall.

Breakfasts and lunches and dinners were spent in the company of my phone. All in all it was the same as the mansion but with much less freedom.

I slowly limped down the stairs, crutch in my hands. It is early and the time when everyone sits to eat their breakfast. It is also the first time I am showing my face before 10 o’clock.

It is also evident on their faces when they see me coming down the stairs. Surprisingly, Agastya is also present around the table. It must've been ages since I saw the man who married me.

His eyes flicked up to me, amazement dancing in his golden brown eyes. It was only there for a moment before it went back to its usual impassiveness.

Lavanya smiled at me warmly. Her presence in this big mansion was the only thing positive here. Her smiles reminded me of Samaira, when I did something that would make her proud. It warmed my heart.

After cursory glances everyone went back to their breakfast. The only seat available was next to my husband. I set the crutch and the bag beside my chair and eased myself into it. Agastya didn't show any signs of awareness that I had sat next to him.

“Did you sleep okay?” Lavanya asked me while the maids served me food.

I answered her with a nod. The food along with everything here is vastly different from Dada’s. It was evident from the moment I stepped in here. Here everyone woke up at 6 o’clock or early, I didn't care enough to find out, ate breakfast at 8 o'clock and went on with their business as usual. At Dada's, I could wake whenever I wanted to eat whatever I like, the only restriction was to not cause trouble, which is the most impossible task.

I know, it takes at least 2 months to settle into this new routine but I can already see what everyone expects me to do. It is in the whispers when I pass the kitchen, it is in the disapproving glances by the family whenever I wake up late. It suffocates me to no extent and the only person in whom I could confide is the person who avoids me the most.

I shake off those depressive thoughts as I finish my breakfast. The maids take away the plates when I wash my hands. I took my crutch and bag and walked towards the door.

Are beta kaha ja raha ho?” [Oh dear where are you going?] Lavanya’s voice floats through the hall, confusion evident in it.

“College.” I answer, voice curt.

Shaadi ke baad ek week hi to hui hai.” [It is only a week after your marriage.] She says.

Dada had promised me that if I stay in this house without complaining for a week then he will allow me to go to college. I had already missed a week of classes and no one would even lend me their notes. It was too much to ask.