𝐩 𝐫 𝐨 𝐥 𝐨 𝐠 𝐮 𝐞

“Mumma!” The shout was accompanied with a body throwing at her at an alarming speed. She stumbled back a bit but righted herself in correct time with her husband's hand on the small of her back.

A seven year old Kedar smiled at her, his front tooth missing from the gummy smile yet just as endearing as he was when he smiled for the first time. Kabir ruffled his hair to which the young Kedar beamed at him. It was so much like her husband that she could only smile while her heart warmed.

“Aap itni jaldi taiyar ho gaya?” [Got ready so fast?] Her question had him look back at her, still attached to her hip. He nodded his hair flying with that much like a wet dog. “Papa ne mujhe taiyar kiya aur bola main Shravani Maasi ki tarah lag rahi ho. Ab aap bolo main Maasi ki tarah lag rahi ho?” [Papa said that when I got ready I looked like Shravani aunty. Now you say do I look like Shravani aunty?]

He did indeed look like her sister, with dimples that widened when he smiled and with the sunny golden retriever energy that he carried around one could easily mistake him for Shravani’s son. The thought made her sigh. She hadn't seen her sister for almost half a decade and it was the longest period they were ever separated. After her mother's death she was the one who looked after her younger siblings, her father, always too busy for his kids and all the nannies who had come only for the money. She had raised Satya and Shravani like her own children and yet had to choose between her lover and her children just because her father, the famous Shekhar Rajawat was stubborn. It wrenched something in her heart when she had to choose and never mended back. If this was the case with her then she could only assume what would've gone through their mind.

Kabir nudged her, jostling her from morose thoughts. He was there one who was there with her through thick and thin. Whenever her thoughts stray a little too dark he will become the beacon of light and lead her to the path they chose. It wasn't to say that they didn't have any struggles. Young love could only survive through much before they wither but at those moments his hands slipped onto hers, holding it tightly, encasing both her heart and hand in his palm with such care sometimes even she was left amazed by him. She smiled up at him and in return got a blinding smile of his own. Their spider monkey climbed from his mother's hips to his father's and stayed there cocooned in the same warmth that she bathed everyday.

“Bahut khush nazar aati ho baccha. Apne family ko dekhne mein itna excited hai aap?” [You are looking very happy. Are you excited to see your family?] Her question was met with an enthusiastic shake of his head before laying on his father's chest. After making sure everything was locked and in order she set out for their car to see both the father son duo had claimed the passenger's seat and left the driving one for her.

Kedar had closed his and when met with her questioning gaze Kabir had mimicked sleeping. It was best to let him sleep through the travel and if they didn't he would become cranky and a tantrum throwing brat that often reminded her of Satya.

Shaking her head she drove out of the lawn.

A hand on her knees startled her and just as, the hand was withdrawn and held up in the air accompanied with the shameless face of her husband. She glared at him and he smiled sheepishly at her. “You are looking gorgeous today.” As if compliments could appease her. She scoffed and went back to concentrating on driving.

“Sirf aaj?” [Only today?] And his mouth was hanging open and gaping at her before letting out a small laugh which jostled Kedar who grumbled before sleeping again. Corners of her lip pulled up in a smile when she heard his quiet laugh. Exhilaration filled her veins at the thought that she could still make him laugh like that. He shook his head in response before weaving his fingers through her unoccupied hand, “Hamesha.” [Always.]

Something burst out in her and filled her gut with a light feeling she had come to associate as happiness. All she could think of was after everything they have been through at the end of the day this is what she comes home to. This kind and understanding man she had married and the wonderful kid they had together and now she is going to have her family as well.

After years and years of hurt that festered in their minds they are ready to reconcile and be something she had craved all these years. Kabir had left no stone unturned in assuring her happiness but even he had limits when it came to her family. She had wanted to meet with Shravani and Satya and her Papa and introduce them to Kedar, whose smiles are like Shravani and lips like Satya’s when he pouts after stirring up trouble. She wanted to give Kabir something he didn't have before and craved all his life; a family. A sigh left her, all these dreams are going to come true tonight. At first she couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the mighty Shekhar Singh Rajawat sitting in their humble abode chatting with her husband, who was once ridiculed by the same man for his lack of wealth and entertaining his first grandchild. Her father had told her in the peace and quiet of their small balcony that he had longed for his eldest daughter to come home and for days she couldn't believe what she had heard. Even more so when their new company's success party's invitation letter she had found on the top of their table.

Kabir’s hands again found its place on her thighs, squeezing gently as if he could hear her thoughts. She turned her head, hands finding purchase on his and the next thing she knew, she was thrown up in the air by a massive crash.

For moments she could neither hear nor see anything but after she heard the high pitched wailing of a child and it was coming from near. It made her want to close her ears and lay still for a second, because the cries only amplified the fire that was spreading through her veins. The view she opened her eyes to made her freeze. Kabir's eyes that held warmth and love just moments ago are now empty and hollow much like her mother's the last time she saw her and her dear boy Kedar’s wails pierced through her heart and the silence that enveloped them. With great difficulty she moved her body towards his and tried to shush him but to no avail. Her hands coated with blood left hand prints on his cheek when gently caressed him.

“Shush baccha Mumma theek hai aur aap bhi theek hai. Mumma bas kuch der ke liye aankh band karti ho aur sab kuch theek ho jayega. Shush, shush.” [Shush, son Mumma is ok and you are ok. Mumma just wants to close her eyes for a second. Shush, shush.]

A wave of exhaustion took over her body and true to her words she closed her eyes to never open them again, with one hand holding her dead husband's and the other caressing her young son’s cheek.

So here is the prologue. The next updates will be probably on Monday or Sunday though no promises. Updates from here on is usually scheduled on Sundays but it is not set in stone. Updates will be sporadic as I am a student.

If you enjoyed this chapter do comment and vote.