Chapter One

Chapter One

Is it bad that I really don't care that my grandmother died? I mean I am sad, but not because she died. It's because of her death that we have to move into this old creepy house, filled with every kind of creepy-crawly and slithery-slimy dumb little pest you could possibly think of. And spiders. I hate spiders.

I walk onto the creaky steps up to the front door. I hate these steps. Every moment I am on them I feel as if they will break down below me and collapse into a million little splinters, burying me deeper than my grandmother. I am scared of walking this way, but the only other door was through the basement and I am scared of that as well. I did the math and the fear of the basement is greater than the fear of the stairs. So I take the steps.

I survive to the front door and make my way to the room that will hopefully someday be my bedroom. Right now it is just a room. A room filled with sorrows, painful memories and regret. I hate this room.

I wished we never moved to this house. I wish I was enjoying my summer with Becky and Charlotte on the roof of my building eating popsicles, and talking about crushes, school assignments, 19th century contemporary poets or whatever else piqued our interests. I wish my grandmother never died. I know it sounds selfish. But it's true. How could I love the weird, schizophrenic grandmother I only heard about at awkward family gatherings from uncle Joey? What I did care about is my whole life being taken away.

I plop into my bed and open up my phone. The bed creaks and I can hear a cough from downstairs when the dust falls into my father's face. Good. He deserves it, I think before regretting it. It's not his fault he had to jump into this "amazing" opportunity. Maybe if I was an old mature adult like him I would understand. But I'm not. So until then he might have to deal with me being a little bit grumpy. I check my texts before swiping into my most used app; Notes.

Friday July 24th

Today I went to the deli. The deli smelled like rat poop, expired yogurt and forgotten dreams. I only got some gummies. I haven't eaten them yet, so I'm hoping for the best. If I die from eating these gummies, I hope my father doesn't think I committed suicide. That would crush him like he crushed my own hopes and dreams. And if he thinks of looking into my notes app, (which I don't think he will) I just wanna say, Hi dad! Don't feel guilty! Just sue the deli. Other than that my day was pretty uneventful.

A deli of stink

A sad place long forgotten

Gummies, don't kill me.

I am about to close the phone when I get a text from Charlotte.

✨💓CHAR 💓✨ has texted...

CHAR: Haiiii hows day three?

Me: *how's

CHAR: Seriously Ari?

Me: 😏

CHAR: Anyways. How's day three????

Me: It's ok. Better than yesterday ig. I almost died from gummy worms

CHAR: I'm sorry WHAT?

Me: Haha. Love you too. Bye.

CHAR: Seriously Ari? You didn't have to cut me offff

CHAR: Nothing?

CHAR: You still there?

CHAR: K bye then i gess.

Me: Capitalize your I's!!!! (also *GUESS)

CHAR: Knew that would get you LOL

Me: Awh frick. You know me too well. Bye for real now