XXV -- Entranced by the Enemy

Nemesis

Chapter XXV — Entranced by the Enemy

[FKA Twigs — Killer]

[27 November 2023]

[Ares Tech Headquarters]

[23:08]

"He's a fucking traitor..." Dain mumbled to himself. "I don't get it, why would he lie about being paralyzed?" Edward wondered and Dain shook his head violently. "He wouldn't be lying about the shit unless he was hiding something, there's way more to Kane than I thought, and I have to find out before he fucks us over." Dain explained in a rather grim tone. His instincts could tell that there was more that was hidden from them, and that quite the calamity would occur if they did not neutralize this potential enemy. Edward prepared to speak a bit more, but he was intercepted by the sound of Dain's ring tone. Dain readjusted the device in his hand and answered the call.

"Hello?" He said, awaiting the voice on the other line to project itself through the device. "Dain, it's Lwazi, I need you to get down to the station, there's something you need to see." Lwazi's voice was expelled, and Dain raised an eyebrow at the request being made. He stared at Kane's home, before he turned his attention back to the call. "I'm pretty sure what you wanna show me isn't as important as what I'm up to." Dain soon responded, aggression slightly evident in his voice.

"It's got something to do with the niggas that risked their lives trying to execute that half-baked plan of yours at the Manhattan Compound! So, I'd suggest you get your ass here soon." Lwazi said, clearly annoyed with Dain's response, as if the work he did was less important than the CEO's. Dain sighed with a shake of his head. "Fine." He said before he hung up

the call, turning his attention to Edward. "Can you guys stay here for like thirty more minutes, if nothing else happens, you can go." Dain said, prompting a nod from his friend. He hoped that what he was being called for was just as, if not more important than the work he was doing now.

[New York City Police Station]

[23:23]

Lwazi sat in his office, awaiting Dain's arrival in order to inform him of the progress they had made on this case. However, the information was rather controversial and Lwazi was curious as to how he would react to it. Regardless, he had plans to mobilize on the information he had acquired. Lwazi heard the door to his office open. He looked in its direction to catch sight of Dain, who looked like he had gone through an emotional roller-coaster. Perhaps it was a mistake to call him here, but he had no other option. He could not reach Miranda no matter how much he tried.

"You wanted to see me?" Dain asked as he took a seat on the chair across Lwazi's. "Yeah. I'm sure you remember the string of murders that took out the board members and our failed attempt to capture the killer at the Manhattan Compound." Lwazi started and Dain stared at him with curiosity, his hand motioning for him to resume. "Some people looked at the bullets and they all look the same, and have this weird poison called Rohedotoxin inside them, but there's one thing that's got me the most curious."

Dain did not seem amused by Lwazi's rather cryptic tone, and was in a hurry to hear what the captain had to say. "Just spit it out." Dain ordered and Lwazi rolled his eyes at the remark, choosing to ignore it. He opened up a drawer underneath his desk to pull out a plastic bag that contained bullets. The bullets bore a silver color and instantly caugh Dain's eye, because he could easily recognize them like he could recognize his own son. "Those are Ares Tech brand bullets..." Dain started, shock in his tone.

He reached out for the bag, motioning for Lwazi to hand it over to him. He

complied and handed the bag to Dain, who observed the projectiles with much more focus than before. There was one more important quality these bullets had. "These are an older model though, like 2018 at best. How did they even get access to this shit? We don't even make them anymore..." Dain asked as his gaze shifted from the bag to Lwazi. "This has convinced me that whoever this killer is, they're working at Ares Tech or at least have worked there before. I'll be conducting an off-the-books search soon, and I let the rest of the station know because word could get out and the killer could get a chance to escape."