- Tenth -

~ 10 years ago ~

"Mom... Mom... Mom..."

"Not now, Jungkook."

The little boy fell silent immediately and instinctively took a few steps back. He was currently standing in the doorway of his house, watching his mother put on her shoes.

"B-But..."

The woman sighed, then turned to her son. She looked exhausted, her dark circles deep. And in her eyes, you could see both annoyance and a hint of hope. Jungkook felt himself shrinking under that gaze.

"Jungkook, listen, I don't have time to look after you now. Your brother's having a medical examination today, and he might even get out of hospital. It's an important day."

A pout formed on the boy's lips as his eyes filled with tears. It was always the same, she never had time for anything with him. Jongsu's health had always been fragile, and he was regularly in and out of hospital. Jungkook, in the midst of all this, had never really been able to enjoy his parents' attention, his twin brother monopolising all their attention.

The little boy could hardly hold back his tears. He didn't ask for much, he knew that Jongsu was ill, but he was their son too. Just a little love was too much to ask?

Seeing that his son was about to cry, Hyeri knelt down in front of him and tenderly stroked his cheek.

"Jungkook, I promise that when I get back, we'll spend some time together. In the meantime, please be a good boy. Just like you've always been."

The boy nodded, hiding the sheet of paper he so desperately wanted his mother to sign behind his back. It was for her to accompany him on an outing with the school. For a moment, he had really hoped she would say yes. He had already imagined himself holding his mother's hand, surrounded by his classmates. Just thinking that it would never happen made Jungkook want to cry.

Sometimes he cursed Jongsu. Because he was getting the attention and love he would never get. Jongsu hogged absolutely everything.

"Well, I've got to go. Jongsu might get scared if he's alone for too long." Hyeri finally said as she straightened up.

Jungkook watched her go, giving him one last little smile before closing the door. And when his mother had finally disappeared, he took out the paper, pressing it against him and letting his tears flow. The little boy burst into sobs, crumpling the paper in his childish little fists.

"Aahh..." he cried. "It's not fair... Why does it always have to be him..."

He soon heard someone coming down the stairs, and Jin's gaze immediately fell on his little brother, who was crying, alone at the front door. A wave of sadness swept over him, and he hurried over to him, kneeling down in front of him.

"Jungkook, what's going on? Why are you crying?" he asked, worried.

Jungkook tried to answer, but his tears prevented him from formulating a comprehensible sentence. However, Jin's gaze fell on the crumpled sheet of paper the child was holding, and he understood immediately.

"Is this about the outing you told me about this morning?"

Jungkook nodded.

"Mom can't, right?"

"H-Hm... She doesn't care... She just wants Jongsu... She doesn't care about me..."

Seeing his little brother in such a state made his heart ache. Jungkook was a quiet, discreet boy, always well-behaved, but his efforts were never rewarded. And naturally, after living like this for eight years, Jungkook was beginning to crack.

He was beginning to realise that his parents would never look at him. Whether he was good or not.

Jin took him in his arms, lifting him up. Jungkook let him, immediately burying his face in his brother's shoulder.

"Stop crying, Kook..." Jin whispered to him. "You're lucky, now that I'm eighteen, I can go on school outing with you!"

"R-Really?"

"Really! Come on, give me that sheet, I'll sign it!"

***

The whole Jeon household was in an uproar. Jongsu had been released from hospital for the first time in two months, so Hyeri had decided to organise a tea party for him. The biggest names in Seoul's high society would be here with their children in a few minutes. Jungkook watched his mother running around, before finally joining Jin, who had settled into one of the garden armchairs. They were soon joined by Jongsu, and soon the guests were arriving one after the other. In just a few minutes the house had filled up.

Jin had met up with his best friends, Namjoon, Taehyung, Yoongi and Hoseok, who had brought a little boy called Jimin (his parents had just arrived in Korea, and he didn't know anyone yet). Jongsu was once again glued to his mother, so Jungkook, a little left out, preferred to wander around the garden, playing with the flowers and ladybirds.

As he played quietly, his eyes were suddenly drawn to a particular flower, with red petals and a black heart. It was beautiful, and the petals looked so fragile, like paper. In a few moments, Jungkook became obsessed with this flower, especially as it was the only one like that in the whole garden. So, as gently as possible, he picked it and, smiling as he saw the flower twirl in his hand, ran home to find his big brother laughing with his friends.

"Jin hyung! Jin hyung! Look at the flower I found!"

Jin turned to him, and couldn't suppress a smile when he saw the little boy's innocent smile.

"It's really pretty, Kook." remarked the young man. "Do you know what it's name is?"

The boy shook his head.

"It's a poppy. It's a very fragile flower..."

"Wow..."

Jungkook's attention returned to the flower, which he began to stroke gently.

"What is it?"

The boy was startled, and turned round to come face to face with Jongsu. His twin was staring at the flower, looking just as amazed as Jungkook.

"A poppy." the boy explained.

Jongsu frowned, looking thoughtful.

"I want one too."

"It was the only one." Jungkook admitted.

"Then give it to me."

It was Jungkook's turn to frown.

"No, it's mine."

"Come on, give it to me."

"No!"

Jongsu's eyes darkened. He wasn't used to being refused anything, especially not Jungkook, the nice little boy who was always wise and quiet. He never made a fuss, never disobeyed. He did everything he was told.

"Give it to me, or I'll tell Mom."

This threat seemed to affect Jungkook, who widened his eyes before they filled with tears.

"B-But it's mine..."

Seeing that Jungkook didn't want to give in, Jongsu suddenly started crying and ran away from his twin.

"Mom!" he shouted, throwing himself into Hyeri's arms.

Seeing her son burst into sobs, the woman panicked.

"Jongsu? Sweetheart, what's going on? Why are you crying?"

The boy turned slowly towards his brother, pointing an accusing finger at him.

"I-It's Jungkook. He stole my flower."

~🍁~

Wow, honestly, Jongsu is a real bitch, even more than Soyoon from Step Daddy! And little Jungkook is so cute🥺💗

Hope you liked this chapter, and see you soon💕