5.

360 days. August 5th.

She handed the keys to Alex with a small smile. Sure, it had cost a lot, but at least he would be happy. He smiled back and pressed the unlock button to find the car. He pressed the button to unlock the car and saw what it was. She was expecting a smile but she was met with a disappointed frown.

"Is this it?" He looked down at her with a pouty lip.

She nodded. "Do you not like it?" She felt bad, immediately wanting to get the best thing she could for him.

"No, it's not that, it's just– I thought you might get me an upgrade for the inconvenience, y'know?" He looked hopeful that she would return it and buy a new car for him.

"I can't really return it now though. There's no refunds." She looked up at him with a slightly quivering lip.

"Do you not have enough money? Is it that bad? I didn't know, I'm sorry, darling." He mumbled under his breath.

"No, it's just–" she sighed. "I guess I can return it. What kind of car do you want?"

"A coupe. A black coupe." His pouty lip turned into a wide, toothy grin. She felt a feeling bubbling in her stomach, but she pushed it down and went to buy the car of his choice. It took probably around an hour for everything to be situated and for her to have returned to him with the keys. She placed them in his hands with a happy smile that was meant to hopefully make him happy too. He pressed a small kiss against the top of her head to reassure her that he liked the gift.

Just before he was about to go to his new car, he spoke again. "Actually, can you pay me back for the reservation? I didn't realize it was so much and you know, since you made me miss it, it would only be fair."

She was going to protest but decided against it. Plus, she had made him miss the reservation, so it was only fair that she paid him back. She pulled out her wallet and handed him all the cash in it, hoping it was enough.

"Is that enough? I can take out more if you need it." She said quickly, trying to make sure that his satisfaction was present before she made any further moves that would upset him. Her head was pounding, yet she ignored it for his sake. She was tiptoeing around what she actually wanted to say, which she knew wasn't healthy. But who really cares about what's healthy when they're in love?

He smiled and nodded. "Sorry if I'm making you nervous, darling. I just need the money, you know?"

She nodded and hugged him, burying her head against his shoulder. "I know. I'm sorry for suggesting that you would do that for any other reason."

"You never accused me of that though." He stared down at her. "Do you really think that? Do you not trust me?"

She shook her head quickly, feeling desperation rising inside of her and flowing through the shivering bones that were keeping her upright. "I trust you."

"Prove it."

She looked up at him. "How?"

"Give me one thousand dollars and I promise I'll give it back to you in...how many days darling?" He looked down at her.

"How many days...?"

"Pick how many days you want me to wait before giving it back." He informed, looking down at her with something dangerous glinting in his eyes.

"Uh, one?"

"Longer, dummy." He rolled his eyes.

She glanced around before her eyes landed on the new license plate for the car she had gotten him. "Three hundred and sixty days, then." She looked up at him with a small smile on her lips, which she had begun to have more often about a week before.