chapter 2

The next day

**INT. LAPD - INTERROGATION ROOM - DAY**

*The scene opens in a stark, utilitarian interrogation room at the LAPD. TIM BRADFORD, Detective ANGELA LOPEZ, and Detective NYLA HARPER are seated across from a SUSPECT, who appears nervous and tense. The door opens, and LUCY CHEN enters, exuding confidence and professionalism. She is wearing a white skirt, a stylish top, heels, and her hair is perfectly curled. The detectives and Tim watch as she gracefully moves to sit beside her client.*

**LUCY**
(looking at the suspect reassuringly)
Don’t worry. We’ve got this.

*Lucy turns her attention to the detectives, her expression calm but assertive.*

**LUCY**
(to the detectives)
Good morning. I trust my client hasn’t been mistreated.

**TIM**
(trying to maintain professionalism, but with a hint of warmth)
Morning, Lucy. We’re just here to ask a few questions.

**ANGELA**
(leaning forward)
Ms. Chen, we have new evidence that puts your client at the scene of the crime.

**LUCY**
(raising an eyebrow)
Really? I’d like to see that evidence.

*Angela slides a folder across the table. Lucy opens it, glancing over the contents before closing it decisively.*

**LUCY**
(coolly)
This so-called evidence is circumstantial at best. I have security footage that places my client at a different location during the time of the crime.

**NYLA**
(skeptical)
Footage can be manipulated. How do we know it’s legitimate?

**LUCY**
(smirking)
Because it’s been verified by an independent forensic expert. I’m sure you’re familiar with the process.

*Tim suppresses a smile, impressed by Lucy’s poise. Angela and Nyla exchange glances, recognizing the challenge ahead.*

**TIM**
(speaking up)
Let’s keep this civil. We all want the truth, right?

**LUCY**
(nodding)
Exactly. So unless you have concrete evidence to hold my client, I’m requesting his immediate release.

*Angela sighs, closing her notebook.*

**ANGELA**
(looking at Tim and Nyla)
We’ll need to review the footage. If it checks out, he’s free to go.

**NYLA**
(muttering)
For now.

*Lucy stands, helping her client to his feet. She looks at Tim, her eyes softening for a brief moment before she turns to leave.*

**LUCY**
(to the detectives)
I’ll be expecting a call once you’ve reviewed the footage. Have a good day.

*Tim watches as Lucy and her client exit the room, a mix of pride and concern in his eyes. The door closes behind them, leaving the detectives to ponder their next*
Lucy leaves
**INT. LAPD - HALLWAY OUTSIDE INTERROGATION ROOM - DAY**

*Lucy is walking briskly down the hallway with her client, her heels clicking on the tiled floor. Just as they reach the exit, TIM catches up to her, his expression a mix of determination and affection.*

**TIM**
(softly but firmly)
Lucy, dinner tonight?

*Lucy pauses, turning to face him, her professional demeanor softening slightly. She glances at her client, who gives her a knowing nod before walking ahead to give them a moment alone.*

**LUCY**
(smiling)
Dinner sounds perfect. Your place or mine?

**TIM**
(grinning)
How about mine? I'll cook.

**LUCY**
(teasing)
I’ll hold you to that. What time?

**TIM**
(thoughtful)
Seven?

**LUCY**
(nodding)
Seven it is. See you then.

*Tim reaches out and gently squeezes her hand for a brief moment, their connection evident. Lucy gives him a final smile before turning to catch up with her client. Tim watches her leave, a contented look on his face.*

**TIM**
(to himself)
Can’t wait.

*As Lucy exits the building, the camera follows her, capturing her confident stride as she steps out into the bustling streets of LA, the sun casting a warm glow on her. The scene shifts back to Tim, who takes a deep breath and heads back to the interrogation room, ready to face the challenges ahead with a renewed sense of determination.

How will dinner go with Tim?