32. FRAGMENTS OF CHASING GHOSTS

Avya

It was late evening, and the continuous rain outside only added to the mansion's heavy, almost oppressive atmosphere.

The rhythmic patter of rain against the windows was punctuated by occasional thunder, creating a dull, almost eerie backdrop to the otherwise quiet interior.

"Dr. Avya, this room is really warm," Mythila said looking at the fireplace, as settled on the bed with a contented sigh.

I watched her closely, scanning for any signs that she might recognize the place.

Since stepping foot in the mansion, her demeanor had been one of raw curiosity, but nothing more.

I hummed in response, my attention momentarily shifting to Hridhaan. He was meticulously instructing the servants on everything from Mythila's routine to her dietary needs, undoubtedly after thorough consultation with Dr. Mathur.

When we arrived, Grandma Singhania had already prepared this room for Mythila.

Thankfully, it wasn't her old room. Mythila needed time and space to adjust first.

Hridhaan was handling everything: saline machines, nurses on standby—every possible medical facility the hospital could offer, he had arranged.

Currently, Vani, the nurse, was seated on the other side, carefully arranging Mythila's medicines.

I glanced at Hridhaan again, his back to me, as he discussed something with his guards.

We needed to have a serious talk, about all of this.

If Hridhaan knew the core reason behind Mythila's panic attacks, we could manage them better.

The silence in the room was almost comforting. Mythila was engaged in looking at some magazines on the table, a rare moment of peace.

But then, a voice disrupted the calm, echoing from downstairs.

"What? What did you say? Who is alive?" The shrill voice of Kriti Singhania sliced through the atmosphere, annoyingly piercing.

Hridhaan turned, his expression darkening. Thankfully Mythila was indulged in reading the magazine.

___________________________

As soon as Kriti's voice pierced through the calm, I saw Hridhaan clenching his jaw, his expression clearly angry as he glanced at Mythila, before he looked downstairs.

Was it too much to expect peace here?

With a nod to the guard, he walked away downstairs with loud, purposeful steps, clearly pissed off.

"No! What is that woman doing here?" Kriti's voice echoed, making me snap in that direction.

"Mythila, I'll be back. Will you be comfortable?" I asked, but she was already engrossed in an article about luxury cars.

I didn't know she was interested in such things, but seeing how she just waved her hand, as if telling me to go, I concluded she was comfortable enough.

"Vani," I called the nurse, as she nodded from her position on the other side of the room.

I left the room, closing the door gently behind me. The voices only intensified as I walked down the stairs.

The cold wind blowing through an open window on the floor sent goosebumps all over me. It was raining hard today, especially with the lightning.

Thunderstorms and this mansion made for a deadly combination, casting a dark and unconventionally tempting atmosphere.