14. Hide and Seek

"Alright, let's see how bad of a cook I actually am," he says, stepping out of bed. 

He stretches, his bones creaking like an old wooden floorboard, help me out of bed and into a comfortable onesie, carrying me down and into the kitchen. The kitchen is smaller in size but cozy, with a window that offers a view of the river. He pulls out a pan, some eggs, and a loaf of bread.

He cracks the eggs into the pan. A smile creeps onto his face as he fumbles with the spatula, nearly dropping it in the process. "See! Told you I'm a bad cook." 

I giggle, "you can't say that yet! You've only just begun." 

He slices the bread, toasts it, and sits down at the small table by the window, opposite me. The sunlight reflects off the river, creating a dance of light and shadow that mesmerizes him for a brief moment.

"I could get used to this view... the peace, the quiet," he smiles as he cuts up my toast in bite-sizes. 

"I already love it," I say. "It's homely," I smile. 

He nods, "it is." 

As we sit there, the aroma of the freshly cooked eggs mingling with the toasted bread fills the air. He looks at me, his eyes twinkling with a mixture of excitement and curiosity. "So, what do you think of my cooking so far?"

I take a bite of the eggs, savoring the warmth and flavor. "Not bad at all. In fact, I'd say you're a natural."

He chuckles, a soft, warm sound that blends with the gentle murmur of the river outside. "You're too kind. But I'll take the compliment. Even though I know it's an exaggeration. Because daddy fucking sucks at cooking."

"If you suck so badly, why don't you have the chef teach you some? You know every girl loves a man that can cook," I wink. 

He smirks, licking his lips. "Might have to do that then." 

As we continue to eat, the conversation flows easily, like the river outside. The kitchen, with its quaint charm and the view of the river is beautiful, perfect. Now, I'm truly home. Now we feel like two people united as one. The house, the dark gruff furniture mixed with the serenity and earthly colors is a testament to that. This is everything. 

After breakfast, he stands up, stretching once more. "Do you wanna go outside and have fun?" 

I glance at the window, the sunlight dancing on the water, inviting us to come out and play. "Can I dip my toes in the water?"

He smiles, a boyish grin, "if you promise to just dip your toes," he says though with that stern undertone. 

He tidies up the kitchen, and there's a comfortable silence settling between us.

Once everything is clean and put away, we grab our jackets and head outside. The air is crisp and fresh, carrying the scent of blooming wildflowers and the faint, earthy smell of the river. I let out a giggle as I run toward the river, feeling that familiar fuzz come to the surface as I'm about to dip my toes. 

The river is a living, breathing entity, its waters shimmering in the sunlight, whispering secrets as it flows. I smile at the mirror-like surface. Daddy slowly comes to my side, grabbing hold of my hand. 

"You gotta be careful, bambina," he says softly, his eyes fixed on the water. "And you're prettier in real life than you are in that reflection. It doesn't do you justice." 

"Daddy pwetty," I smile pointing to his reflection. 

He gasps playfully, picking me up, throwing me over his shoulder. He carries me onto the grass, laying me down with gentle affection, beginning to tickle my sides. "Daddy is not pretty, you little squish. Daddy is a man."